Cow in Heat Question?

Help Support CattleToday:

M.Sarria

Reaction score
My question is I have to cows that just whent in to heat last night abut 5 PM how long do I have to artificially inseminate. Can do it today every ones clouse for the hollyday. I hard you can have up to 3 days and I been also told only 18 hour from time of heat? Any one have some experience in this??
Thanks for any input :?:

12 hrs after you see them ridden or riding in the am AI in next pm riding in the pm AI in the next am. 18 hrs will be too long.

Standing heat in the morning...breed that night
Standing heat in the evening....breed the next morning.
Any longer and you'll probably miss the cycle.
AI'd this year and only had one re-do. Didn't palpatate as all
settled nicely and no signs of estrus all summer. Still waiting on the new gal and will know this week.
Was a real nice link posted awhile back with movies and everything. Do a search and see what comes up.
DMc

Susie David said:
Standing heat in the morning...breed that night
Standing heat in the evening....breed the next morning.
Any longer and you'll probably miss the cycle.

The trick there is STANDING heat....our cows start horsing about long before standing heat happens....you need to watch for the cow to stand still when being mounted.....if not in standing she will just boogie off to get away from the offending critter.... :)

M.Sarria":2nwllar1 said:
My question is I have to cows that just whent in to heat last night abut 5 PM how long do I have to artificially inseminate.

As everyone else has said, about 12 hours from standing heat. I wouldn't go any longer than that.

Where I work, they've been known to be out there at 5:30 am AI'ing.

One time here I had planned weeks ahead (hoping the plans would come together) for a 6:30 am timed breeding. This way the guy from work who does AI, and I could get it done and get back to work on time.

By the sounds of things, you may have to wait until the next cycle if it was 5:00 pm yesterday.

Katherine

Thanks every one for the info, well it looks like I miss this one. Should I just get a bull??? Are they worth it for 5 cows???

M.Sarria":20rbyc6a said:
Thanks every one for the info, well it looks like I miss this one. Should I just get a bull??? Are they worth it for 5 cows???
Owning no, renting or borrowing maybe.

M.Sarria":8ppy4vd1 said:

No. Too much time, trouble, and feed for 5 cows. Check with some of your trusted neighbors, whom have a good health program, about renting one for a couple of months.

M.Sarria":c0w2mcol said:

Personally with 5 cows I would A.I. but others might feel differently. But it takes some effort to catch them. The best thing with 5 cows is to have your vet or whoever is doing your A.I. Work put a Cidr in them and sync them then you can at least narrow down the time period of watching them. Then you will have to watch them close maybe use a marker on them to help catch it. Talk to your vet or A.I. Tech and they should be able to help you know exactly what you will be watching for so that you do not miss them.

We have always had more success waiting a little later rather than rush the time and be to early.

First year we A.I.'d it was train wreck, but once I learned more about my cows and what to look for we finally started getting them all bred.

Ya wish I new any one out here just moved out here and dont no any one out here yet, but I well get on it and meet some farmers out here soon I hope.

dj":d4cfzf2c said:
12 hrs after you see them ridden or riding in the am AI in next pm riding in the pm AI in the next am. 18 hrs will be too long.

dj, whether 18 hours is too long depends entirely on whether they are just coming into heat or are in standing heat. We don't AI anymore, so I don't pay much attention to them since the bull takes care of it for us - but I believe it takes roughly 8-12 hours for them to progress from coming into heat to standing heat, then one usually AI's 12 hours after observation of standing heat - so the 18 hour time span is about right depending on the individual cow. Of course, that is assuming memory serves - which may or may not be the case. :oops: :oops:

msscamp":3vyqpek4 said:
dj":3vyqpek4 said:

dj, whether 18 hours is too long depends entirely on whether they are just coming into heat or are in standing heat. We don't AI anymore, so I don't pay much attention to them since the bull takes care of it for us - but I believe it takes roughly 8-12 hours for them to progress from coming into heat to standing heat, then one usually AI's 12 hours after observation of standing heat - so the 18 hour time span is about right depending on the individual cow. Of course, that is assuming memory serves - which may or may not be the case. :oops: :oops:

Again my assumptions. Being mounted and being ridden are 2 different things 2 me.

dj":24em4u61 said:
msscamp":24em4u61 said:
dj":24em4u61 said:

Again my assumptions. Being mounted and being ridden are 2 different things 2 me.

You might be meaning the same thing, and I am sure everyone has different ways to say it especially in different areas. But the standard reference that I have either heard or read is to use the term "Standing Heat" it just clarifies things so know one gets confused. Ridding, Mounting, In heat are a little vague.

I know one technician that is very meticulous about his breeding and he counts 12 hours after the End of Standing Heat, he does not count 12 hours from first sight of Standing Heat.

18 hrs is not to long , but there is stipulations. I have the electronic HeatWatch System . It tells me the excact time the fisrt mount occured, this allows me to go out as far as 18 hrs , which I have found in heifes the longer, the better .You can get acceptable conception rates up to 18 hrs after onse of standing heat. There is a difference in onset of heat and just in standing heat. The general rule is 12 hrs after you notice the cow in heat. Remember , you will probably not find the cow in heat until she has been ridden several times and been in heat a few hrs. but 12-18 hrs will do in most cases. Do not go over 18 in any case, or under about 6-8 hrs either . To soon is as bad as to long.

Latest posts