Cow hurting

Help Support CattleToday:

DitchBank

Reaction score
I have a full sized cow that is 3 years old and seems to be in some pain. She is bleeding some from her female parts and it also has a little white (possibly puss) mixed in with it. She slipped her calf last year, and has been locked up without a bull until around a month ago. Just about 3 days ago though the bulls were chasing her and a bull I didn't want breeding her jumped the fence that is a lot bigger than the bull I wanted breeding her. Since I seen the bulls chasing her she has been in pain and bleeding, what could be wrong and what should I do? I've heard sticking a bolus up in there to fix some problems would this and a dose of penicillin do the job? Is it worth a try?

I don;t know about the pain but 3 days post heat is a pretty common time to see a little blood and "stale" mucus.

I've seen plenty of cows in heat but she seems to be a little different. She at first just had her tail lifted up and stayed away with the herd for a few hours 2 days ago. She would get up for about 3-4 minutes but then start almost like she was having labor pains and pushing and having contractions and drop to the ground for 3-4 more minutes and kept doing this for about 3 hours. The last 2 days counting today she stays caught up with the herd, still has some discharge keeps her tail up but is moving okay and doesn't seem to be having problems with having to lay down now. Any tips?

just give her a little more time. if she was mine, i'd find something else to worry about.

The only tip is to either wait 10 days and abort her or wait and keep an eye on her at the 17-21 day mark from when she got bred.

I've seen this before with a few 1st timers. They walk a little 'funny' for a day or so then they're fine. Also as dun stated, it is not uncommon to see 'discharge' a few days post heat. You'll know in about month if she 'settles' or not.

Katherine

Keren,I thought so too when I first read the post. If the cow were mine, I would have her examined to see what is going on inside. If she has a uterine infection or scarring, it may be best to put wheels under her.

She should not be in pain or bleeding days after being bred.

You said the "bulls" were chasing her - like how many bulls? I remember a sad day years ago finding a dead heifer up in a thicket - had come into heat when a guy had a group of bulls around - rode her to death.

Makes you wonder if several bulls were too rough for her.

It is normal for her to pass blood after being in heat & normal to pass discharge after being bred.
Sounds to me the was heavily bred (multiple bulls?) and was sore internally & externally (legs, back, etc).
I would venture to guess she will end up BRED.