Cow Hides

Help Support CattleToday:

Not much, I don't think. We used to get a little credit for them when we had beef slaughtered. Haven't seen that on the bill for a long time. Ron

I doubt that you will get your price lowered. At some places, getting the hide is included in your cost. If you want your hide, you pay for it.
Other places will let you keep it for free.

Can anybody 'splain why the price for hides doesn't seem to have kept pace with demand for leather??

I'm sure I'm not the only one old enough to remember when athletic shoes were made of canvas and only worn for sports? But now they are the daily footwear of choice for millions of people. And car seats used to be vinyl or cloth unless you had a Jag or something. Now more models have leather seats than don't. And leather couches, recliners, etc. are in half the homes in America. :dunce: :?: :???:

Good point on the more use of leather should generate bigger payments for hides....
I wonder what the cost would be to process a hide into a rug? I saw some at the NAILE two years ago that were beautiful, but PRICEY!

CKC1586":3d1p173o said:
Good point on the more use of leather should generate bigger payments for hides....
I wonder what the cost would be to process a hide into a rug? I saw some at the NAILE two years ago that were beautiful, but PRICEY!

Cost $25.00 to get it from butcher and then 6 months and $400.00 Had a hereford done.

JHH":2lwfrp1e said:
CKC1586":2lwfrp1e said:

Cost $25.00 to get it from butcher and then 6 months and $400.00 Had a hereford done.
How did you find the folks that did the processing of the hide? I wonder if my butcher would have contacts, I need to give them a call.....

Cattle hides these days are almost all destined for China, not only from the US but from most beef producing countries. There is a big demand for leather these days. And China really cranks out the leather products. [Anyone realize how pricey leather products would be if made in the USA]? Well everything would be vinyl and hides would be worthless. China with it's cheap labor even with all the shipping costs can produce leather cheaper then the USA can produce vinyl.

The slaughter man usually takes the hide to offset the cost of slaughter. The hides bring $30-$45 depending on the demand at the time, if a buyer is looking at them then they will be discounted for irons, holes and defects. Most hides our butcher sells are top quality and he gets to dump his gut wagon for free pus a few frogskins. DMc