Cow herd development

Help Support CattleToday:

RVF

Reaction score
I am starting to work on a project to set up a 500+ cow herd in western Canada. The plan is to pasture the cow herd for at least 10 months of the year, and retain ownership of the calfs until slaughter. Since cows will be grazing in snow and cold, I need an easy doing cow herd which efficiently produce high yielding carcasses (colour of calves is not an issue). I would like to pick your minds as to what breed combinations would work best for an operation like this, and why. My present thoughts would be to have a hereford - angus cross cow herd. Probably the best range cow for my conditions. However, I am not sure whether it makes sense to have hereford - simi cross or hereford - gelvbieh cross. With the simi and gelvieh I would get more milk production but may loose out on hardiness. I am not sure what I should have for a terminal sire (Charolais, Limo, Simi) or stay with Angus and Hereford ( I am worried about loosing yield with Angus and Hereford).

I am sure there are better ideas so lets see them.

Well now is the time to get into the cow/calf business in my opinion as bred cows are cheap at most sales. A Hereford/Angus cow is an excellent choice provided you can find smaller framed, easy doing cows as there are alot of poor doing cattle in those breeds. Look for ranch cows that haven't been babied there entire lives and are bred right. I would stay away from the other breeds mentioned for your cowherd and maybe consider them for your terminal cross although I think with the high cost of feed you also would want a easy doing steer to feed as well. I wouldn't look at any high milk production breeds as you are retaining ownership and also want easy doing cows. A couple of websites for info.would be:
http://www.PharoCattle.com (Low input Angus,Hereford from Colorado)
http://www.Beefbooster.com (4 maternal , 1 terminal strain of cattle from Alberta)
http://www.Spriritviewranch.com (low input Angus from Alberta)
There are lots of other breeders out there that would also have what you are looking for, my advice would be to stay away from show cattle and good luck with your future plans.

Ryder":vmnz19oj said:
What are the most popular breeds in your area? That may tell you something.

In my immedidate area there are a lot of mixed farmers who like to feed grain to their cows, so Charolais cross cows would be the norm. Most of the larger herds are black, but that is because of the excellent job the Angus Association has done on marketing black hided cattle. At the auction market, the tan (charolais x hereford) calves are the highest priced. But like I said, I am looking at retaining ownership so the colour of the hide means nothing.

RVF":u4meynfu said:
Most of the larger herds are black, but that is because of the excellent job the Angus Association has done on marketing black hided cattle.

This sort of statement crops up frequently. Does anyone really believe that the only reason a herd is blk Angus is because of propoganda from the associaiton? Do you really think that if they weren't successfull with the breed that they would still be raising them?

Angus/Hereford or Red Angus/Hereford are good cows that are hardy. Speaking from experience with the red angus/hereford cross I can tell you that I would stick with a Red Angus or Angus bull. I like Charolais cattle so I am not trying to bad mouth them as a breed. In a warmer climate they do great. Here though the calves are just not the get up and go kind. Our red angus calves are up and nursing at -30, the Charolais would on the most part rather freeze to death and die. Add on to that the pulls and we found that although the gold calves sell for a bit more (at some sales, not all) we saw more profit in our pockets with a Red Angus bull.
I'm not just telling you that because we now breed registered Red Angus, we now breed registered Red Angus because of what I just told you. I truly believe in this breed as being thrifty, cold weather, easy calving cattle that are just what we need.

Ryder":3sj5699p said:
What are the most popular breeds in your area? That may tell you something.

I agree. It seems unlikely all of your neighbors have been snowed by the AAA and have found something that works. That said, I suddenly wish I had a different screen name :lol: .

dun":1e153s5r said:
This sort of statement crops up frequently. Does anyone really believe that the only reason a herd is blk Angus is because of propoganda from the associaiton? Do you really think that if they weren't successfull with the breed that they would still be raising them?

I am sorry if I insulted you Dun, and for that matter all Angus breeders.
I have no problem stating that the Angus female is an extremely good mother cow, that produces calves which sell well and grade. Angus breeders should be proud that their association has been one of the most inovative breed associations in developing and marketing the Angus brand. These factors all fit together to make the Angus popular. My feeling is that if the Angus cow was not a good brood cow, the marketing program would not have worked as well as it did. Likewise if the marketing program did not work as well as it did, then the Angus breed would not have the market domination it has today.

Latest posts