Cow heat cycle

Help Support CattleToday:

stewart

Reaction score
Hello to everyone, hope everyone had a safe Halloween.
I have a cow that has come in heat on Sept-27 Oct-20 Oct-31 which was yesterday. I would think that she would have been bred by now. Should she be coming in heat that close together? She calved in July. Thanks for the help.
Stewart

Stewert,

The first dates are possible and sound about right. The last date would likely be too soon. Something lead you to believe she was in heat again this week. What were the primary and secondary signs?

Hope this helps until the pros get done with chores.

Bret thanks for the reply, Yes i am sure she was in heat yesterday because my bull was staying close to her and she was riding my other cows but i never seen him mount her but they are brahmas and they must breed at night because i have never seen my bull mount any of my cows.
Stewart

I had a cow that came in to heat in very close cycles - she had a uterine infection that was causing her to have high levels of hormaones causing the bull to stick with her like glue. She had no external signs of infection I could see. Could your cow have had a retained placenta or some other cause to have an infection?

Sidney411, Thanks for your reply, I have'nt seen any reason to think she has a infection but she could have. Her last calf was really small and it only lived a week. The after birth was real rich yellow color almost orange vet came out and said it was because something toxic went thru her but she was ok. Was wondering if that might have some connection to this strange heat cycle and not breeding back yet?
Stewart

Your cow may be cystic-have cysts on her ovaries that cause her to continue to come into heat but not breed. The bull is probably covering her but she's not taking. Consult your vet and tell him what's happening and have him check her. He can give her medication to pop the cysts and then she will breed. This is not uncommon. Good luck with the cow.

hey stewart,

the most likely thing is that your cow is cystic. its been to long since calving for it to a infection related to that. by now she would have gotten toxic and really sick. usually a cow that retains a placenta or gets a uterin infection will show serious signs within a couple of weeks of calving.

her first cycle being a couple of days long is nothing to worry about, but the fact that she is back in heat now is a definate sign. inject her with 2cc of GNrH, ovacyst, of cysterelin, it's all the same just different makers.

this will cause her to drop the cyst off of her ovary, and start over again. you should see her in heat 21 days from when the injection was given.

if the lone dose of GnRh does not do the trick, I would put a CIDR in her for 7 days along with a shot of GnRH the same day you put the CIDR in .Wait till the 6th day , give her 5cc of lutalyse , pull the cidr on day 7 and she will be in a fertile heat in 2 days or so. this was info given to me by a very good embryologist and it has worked for us.

Thanks to everybody for all the help sure saves a man a lot of time,money and trouble.
Stewart

Latest posts