Cow has reddish mucousy discharge after giving birth.

Help Support CattleToday:

Aurous

Reaction score
Hi I have a 2 yr old who just had her first calf and everything went amazingly well, she didnt need any assistance and took the calf. But a few days later she began having reddish mucousy discharges that are somewhat lumpy. I kinda brushed it off cause her and the calf were all doing so well. Now its 5 days and she still has the discharges, although smaller, but now the calf is showing signs of diarrhea. Any thoughts? Would these 2 things be correlated? Thank you.

jerry27150":1x5cqn5b said:
no she is normal but watch the calf for liquid scours

Hey Jerry,

I am a newbie to cattle problems, please describe scours in calves so I may be able to recognize it if and when it occurs. Thanks!

Ward

Scours- Runny poop, sometimes yellow, gray, brown and could have a really bad odor. Can be caused from bacteria and different diet.

This is from personal experience.

The best way to treat this is with Electrolytes which you can pick up at most farm supply store.[/b]

hey ruby,

is that a cat on your avatar? what did you do to him... looks like he went from a cat to a skeerty cat instanteously. :shock:
probably lost a life or 2 over that one too :lol:

jt

CornerStone":77x8f27c said:
jerry27150":77x8f27c said:
no she is normal but watch the calf for liquid scours

Hey Jerry,

I am a newbie to cattle problems, please describe scours in calves so I may be able to recognize it if and when it occurs. Thanks!

Ward

if you had it you would call it diarear or how ever it is spelled. i know its got some h's in there somewhere. ;-)

jt

jt":2lol65kq said:
hey ruby,

is that a cat on your avatar? what did you do to him... looks like he went from a cat to a skeerty cat instanteously. :shock:
probably lost a life or 2 over that one too :lol:

jt

Didn't do anything to that poor cat. Found the picture on a site called http://www.amazingcatcollection.com has a lot of cute cate photos there.