Cow has lump on side of jaw???

Help Support CattleToday:

wil0004_eiles

Reaction score
Hi ive got two cows that now have this problem of a small(half golf ball) lump on the left side of their jaws both in exactly the same spot. I thought it was some type of gland but cannot find any information on it. I have some pictures if you would like to see them please email me [email protected]

Any help is welcome and appreciated!!!
Thanks Ash

had a cow with a very active salivary gland. thought at first it was a tooth abcess

Take a 16 gauge neddel and poke them if puss comes out lance the lump. If nothing or just blood comes out leave alone and keep your eye on it.

Thanks for the replies there is no discharge from the lumps so i will take your advice and just keep an eye on it, i do believe it to be a type of gland due to two cows having the same lump in the exact same place, maybe it is a saliva gland!

Thanks again for the quick resonses!!!

Umm... i dont really know how to post a pic but i dont believe that it is lumpy jaw as the lums are in the same spot and what i understand is that lumpy jaw is caused by a cut on on the inside of the mounth becoming infected as well as being a rare thing and for it to happen in the exact same spot.... I have felt the lumps they dont appear to be hurting the cow and they are firm but i dont think that they are bone... I am really stuck I cannot find any info on the topic so all help is greatly appreciated!!!!

Thanks again Ash

Here are the pictures:
cow1.jpg

cow2.jpg

cow3.jpg

I would tend towards benign neglect. Keep an eye on it but don;t mess with it. If it ripens and opens on it's own you could wash it out with iodine, or even peroxide. Other then that just leave it alone and in most cases it will resolve itself.

i had a lumpy jaw cow and this was the apperance. Not trying to scare you but at least ask a vet if the Iodine treatment that you do for lumpy jaw could be done and not harm the cow if it turns out to not be lumpy jaw. This is a serious problem if it is indeed lumpy jaw. Let me know how old the cow is. If she is 2 years old, look out. 2 year olds are prime candidates because they are cutting a molar at that time. My cow is now dead, mainly because my ex vet argued with me that it was not lumpy jaw and she was treated by another vet and she was too advanced. She did however produce one more calf. Still this is very important to treat early and doesnt hurt to retreat as advised by the vet. I learned a hard lesson, she raised the heaviest calf ever on my farm by a heifer and I only got one more out of her. What might have been? Dont know, but you take care of yours and let me know how it goes. By the way look at the pics of the advanced lumpy jaw, its horrendous, but mine started with the appearance of yours.

if shes around 2 years old, dont keep an eye on it, get the vet out to put an Iodine solution in the vein in her neck, he should know what to do, if not let me know and I will find out what you need. Mine stayed the same size for months at a time.

the cow pictured is 2 years old but the other cow is older... better to be safe than sorry i will get the vet immediately and keep you posted thanks again for your help on this topic!!!

Hold on, don't panic............even if it is lumpy jaw, there are several types.........and the type that requires iodine treatment is fortunately much rarer then the one that shows up as a much easier treatable and lanceable abcess. Not saying that it can't be either/ or, as the tougher one is believed to be caused by a specific bacterium that both cattle may have picked up.who knows?

Before you call the vet.......here's what you can do...........get the cows in a head gate........you got to do it for the vet visit anyway................feel the lumps......are they soft? Hard? hot to the touch? Movable? if they move and not attached to the bone...that should be a very good sign.

Check inside the cheeks if you can...perhaps some feed or briars got into the gum line. look for infection or soreness inside the mouth. As stated above.............put a large bore needle into the lump itself and try to press some puss out through the needle...if puss comes, then do an undercut lance, treat with topical and a simple antibiotic such as penicillen, while yr at it, go ahead and flush the open lance with same...leave lance wound open to drain...it will heal itself from the inside out as the infection clears up.

Now, if the lumps turn out to be hard, won't move etc, then that as stated before is a horse of a different colour, and must be treated by a vet, as it may be attached to the bone, which may then require extensive treatment with iodine etc.

either way..Good Luck, and please,, as this is a learning place for everyone...let us know the outcome please....... :cboy: