Cow got bred by her grandson, abort?

Help Support CattleToday:

millstreaminn

Reaction score
Had my vet up today doing some routine work. I had her palpate a cow I hadn't seen cycling. Long story short is she is 2 months pregnant to her grandson. I band my bulls but must have missed one testicle. Anyhow, she is bred to one of her grandsons. Any reason I should abort it? She's a good cow that throws a great calf so should I be afraid of a bit of line breeding?

Thank you. I appreciate the information. We were gonna give her a shot of Lute- but I was out and my vet didn't have any on her truck. :) guess it was a good thing to be unprepared today! One last question- if she has a heifer calf, can I keep her for breeding or is this calf a slaughter only animal?

Mill, either they turn out really good, or they are really bad. I personally would not have a problem keeping it if it was good.

People may disagree with me, but I would't abort the calf if she was bred to her son, much less to her grandson.

Now, with that being said, I have commercial cattle. If this is registered stuff it may be different, but I still don't think I'd abort it.

branguscowgirl":3seomjsc said:
Mill, either they turn out really good, or they are really bad. I personally would not have a problem keeping it if it was good.
Ditto

Likely nothing to be concerned about. It's not really all that close-breeding. If you like all the animals behind cow & bull calf, you'll just be concentrating those good qualities - and potentially, any less desirable ones.
But, unless recessive genetic defects are lurking in the background, the resulting calf should be just fine.

I kept a linebred (same father and grandfather), heifer last year, she looks pretty good, there's another I might keep this year too. I wouldn't worry about it... As lucky_P said, it can concentrate good genes as well as bad ones, and the recessive defects would be the biggest concern.

I had a group of cows that were linebred for about 15 years to two generations of homebred bulls tracing back to one particular Fleckvieh bull; chased that deal 'til almost everything on the place was its own grandma, and bred to it's uncle/cousin. Believe I was beginning to see some 'inbreeding suppression' - but the bigger problem was crazy dispositions, and too much color dilution and rat-tails.

Like Nesikep, I don't have any issue with breeding a bull back to his daughters, if I like him - and we've got a couple of double-crosses of the old Angus herdsire here that are pretty nice heifers. It don't skeer me none.

normally a calf that is banded with one nut left in is not capable of breeding do to too much heat inside the body. are you sure no other bull could have got to her?

Latest posts