cow goes into labor but now calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Millie

Reaction score
One of my cows was in labor two weeks ago but had no calf. Milk was running out of her bag, and mucus was uoozing from the vaulva area. Our bull was trying to ride her. We seperated them and she still did not lie down and have the calf. The vet said when she went into hard labor to call him. She is grazing and seem to feel fine. Her milk bag seems to be going down. What do I do?

Call the vet and have her checked. May have a dead calf hung up that she can;t pass. Or she may, if possible, calved out in the tulis somewhere and abandoned it.

I agree with dun, she probably slipped the calf somerwhere out of sight. Unfortinatley I've seen this more than once.

Re:
What do I do?
Nothing! The crisis was two weeks ago and the cow seems fine, so let nature finish taking its course.

If the mucus that was uoozing was of a clear nature it was most likely part of the birth process.
If it was more of a white milky stringy looking fluid it was/is a discharge from her absorbing a dead calf or placenta. This fluid is most often found at her rear end in a puddle when she is lying down.

If you really want something to do, watch for buzzers and find out why they are circling.
If you have seen no buzzers, watch the cow between 4PM and dark from a distance and she will lead you to her calf.
Please let us know how things turn out.
SL

Latest posts