cow/goat dog

Help Support CattleToday:

bigbull338

Reaction score
well my cow dog has lerned how to herd goats.anytime the goats get out.i can walk out where i see them.an tell the dog to go get the goats.an she puts the goats back whewre they belong.an she minds pretty well doing it.

I have had several non herding dogs that learned to herd. The ones I have now just chase chickens.

she is a aussie shepard cow dog.she knows how to herd them.but she doesnt know how to mind.

I had a Dalmation named Pongo and he learned how to herd the cows without being taught a thing....

bigbull338":3443lzqd said:
she is a aussie shepard cow dog.she knows how to herd them.but she doesnt know how to mind.

That could easily describe EVERY dog :lol: I have ever owned including the current 2 poop factories residing in my house. :roll:

lol is the dog really doing the work or are the goats so smart that they know when they are in trouble?

its a little of both.when they get out the dog knows where they supposed tobe so she puts them there.all i say is go get the goats.an she goes an gets them.

There's a man near here that'll put goats wherever you want a place cleared of vegetation. Don't need fences. He uses dogs to keep them on the desired area needing to be grazed off.

i have tobe very careful around cows with the dog.because she can get me hurt pretty bad.theres been a few times feeding that she has almost ran the bull an cows on top of me when i was feeding.

bigbull338":ruzqj5yk said:
i have tobe very careful around cows with the dog.because she can get me hurt pretty bad.theres been a few times feeding that she has almost ran the bull an cows on top of me when i was feeding.

My aussie that loves to herd the cows was with my Dad checking a birthing mommy, when the mommy saw the dog, the dog ran behind my Dad, the cow charged penning my Dad to the wooden fence and breaking Dad's back in the process. :(

Sounds like your dog is a keeper BB .I guess the goat thing seems to be working out for you. :)

Dirtdr. that is horrible is your dad alright. OMGosh that is the worst outcome to have happen ..

hillsdown":1hbq15vx said:
Dirtdr. that is horrible is your dad alright. OMGosh that is the worst outcome to have happen ..

He was in his 70's when that happened. took him about 2 years to get back out there, but like they say "you can't keep a good man down". He passed away w/ lung cancer 2 years ago @ 86, that's how I got to be so involved w/ the farm. Sure was a high price to pay :(

yes she is a good dog.but her main prob is she dont know how to mind.an when i tell her to stop she ignores me.the goats are working out good.they are staying in their pen.

Latest posts