Cow follows heifer in Heat

Help Support CattleToday:

TNcowman

Reaction score
I have a cow that is just a couple of weeks away from calving and I noticed her today following around a young heifer that is apparently in heat. The cow will not allow any other cows or heifers around this heifer. She was also trying to ride her. Heifer is getting no peace. If this goes on, I will seperate them tomorrow. Any idea as to why this is going on?? I have had other heifers in season before and never noticed this before.

Thanks for your insight.

did the heifer just get put in with her?

TNcowman":qm614vuh said:
I have a cow that is just a couple of weeks away from calving and I noticed her today following around a young heifer that is apparently in heat. The cow will not allow any other cows or heifers around this heifer. She was also trying to ride her. Heifer is getting no peace. If this goes on, I will seperate them tomorrow. Any idea as to why this is going on?? I have had other heifers in season before and never noticed this before.

Thanks for your insight.

Relax - it will all settle down in a day or so.

Quite normal.

Bez!

you will notice that its quite common for expectant mothers to ride whatever is in heat. i guess its hormonal, i dont know. but i'm amazed that the calves dont get squirted out...
happens ALL the time.

Our boss cow will ride the heifers anytime, took a go at her own Feb 05 calf today...but then she's, the calf, is starting to smell good to the steers too...first heat could be close.
I find it amusing when the calves try to ride the steers...just feeling good I guess.

When a cow is pregnant she has high levels of progesterone to maintain pregnancy at the end just before calving progesterone falls off and estrogen spikes causing cows and or bulls to become interested in the cow right before partruition. Just a tidbit that is kind of related to the topic

I have a heifer longhorn that is in heat and is trying to ride a pregnant Donkey. She is fixin to be AI.

This heifer and donkey and been kicking(donkey) and hooking (longhorn) each other for 6 months, fighting like cats and dogs!

The old timers tell you to "think like a cow"....... tell you the truth, sometimes these cows just don't make sense.

LonghornRanch":2mw1tvhv said:
I have a heifer longhorn that is in heat and is trying to ride a pregnant Donkey. She is fixin to be AI.

The old timers tell you to "think like a cow"....... tell you the truth, sometimes these cows just don't make sense.

I'm not trying to be a wise guy or anything but, speaking from experience here, it's usually my lack of knowledge that prevents me from seeing it from the cows perspective and being able to understand what they are doing or how they are acting or reacting - as the case may be. Just my thoughts.

LonghornRanch":xk8r7blb said:
msscamp, that wasn't a wise guy reply, I think we both said the same thing just in a different way.

I think you're probably right! :lol:

Latest posts