Cow foaming at the mouth

Help Support CattleToday:

Debba

Reaction score
What does it indicate if a cow is foaming at the mouth? Other symptoms include Decreased appetite, lethargic and increased work of breathing. Calf is 4 months old, born on the farm. Is fed bread, round bale hay and fresh water. Is still sucking from mom and is in with 20 other cows not displaying any illnesses. Calf started with this yesterday and made it through the night. Any thoughts??? Thanks...By the way I am new to cows

I have a 2 month old calf I am bottle feeding and he had ticks so I sprayed him down with a pesticide that is for all livestock and he began to foam at the mouth. I immediately rinsed him down with water several times and he was okay within 2 hours.

What is the weather like in your area? I have a few cattle both large and small having a hard time with the heat here. Mostly the younger ones though. It's been around 100 degrees here for the last few weeks. They will pant and foam or slobber a little in this heat. Their eating will slack off too. Just make sure they have some sort of shade and plenty of fresh water. Not much else you can do for the heat. The only other thing I can think of with those symptoms is if they have got into the ivy or eaten something else that doesn't agree with them. Hope everything works out.

How long did she have it...before the calf showed symptoms? I would be concerned about a viral pneumonia/bronchial thing. I would get the vet.

The calf is doing much better. I have seperated him from the herd with just his mom in a shady spot with a supply of fresh water with added minerals and electrolytes. He has received banamine, dexamethasone and LA 200. He has started eating hay, sucking from his mom and drinking the water. No more foam or heavy breathing. Thank you all for your replies. I did find a vet who can work on cows and will refer to them next time anything like this happens. Thanks again for your responses!

Glad to hear it's doing better. It's awful hot on the little fellows now. Supposed to cool off here for a couple of days. My deep pasture ain't so deep anymore. Need substantial rain here.

Debba":jlpv3ogx said:
What does it indicate if a cow is foaming at the mouth? Other symptoms include Decreased appetite, lethargic and increased work of breathing. Calf is 4 months old, born on the farm. Is fed bread, round bale hay and fresh water. Is still sucking from mom and is in with 20 other cows not displaying any illnesses. Calf started with this yesterday and made it through the night. Any thoughts??? Thanks...By the way I am new to cows
Those can be real classic Rabies signs. Don't goof around with a cow that has those symptoms if you don't know much. Call a vet.

sounds like he had something stuck in his throat. the dex should clear up any swelling associated with that.