Cow Facts?

Help Support CattleToday:

MikeC

Reaction score
45 Fun Facts About Cows
It takes around 3,000 cows to supply the 22,000 footballs, the NFL uses every season.
The average cow's temperature is 101.5 degrees Fahrenheit.
A cow can't vomit.
Her intestines can get up to 170 feet.
Her liver weighs 10 to 12 pounds, and the kidney's average 20 pounds each.
From a cow's gelatin, we get photographic film.
On the top front of their mouths, cows have a tough pad of skin instead of teeth.
Cows have a total of 32 teeth, 8 incisors on the bottom front and 6 strong molars on the top and bottom back.
There are 10,354,979 cows that give milk in the US. Of these, one fifth are in Wisconsin
The average California cow produces 19,825 pounds of milk each year, more milk per cow than any other state in the nation. That's enough for 128 people to have a glass of milk every day of an entire year!
There are more than 800,000 cows producing milk in California.
The large, black and white Holstein is the most common. Other breeds include Guernsey's, Jerseys, Brown Swiss, Ayrshires, and Milking Shorthorns.
When a Holstein cow is milking, she weighs between 1,100 and 1,500 pounds.
A Jersey cow weighs between 700 and 1,000 pounds.
No two cows have exactly the same pattern of spots.
The cow must be a mother before she will produce milk.
A newborn Holstein calf weighs about 100 pounds and can walk within one hour after birth!
A one year old female calf is called a heifer. She weighs between 450 and 500 pounds.
A cow has one stomach with four sections.
Cows regurgitate their food and rechew the cud to help digestion. A cow spends up to 8 hours a day eating.
Milk is rich in protein which helps build your muscles, and calcium which strengthens your bones.
If you're between 1 and 12 years old, you should have 3 servings of milk dairy products every day.
Teenagers need even more and should have 4 or more servings of dairy foods each day.
Adults should have 2 or more servings of dairy per day.
Cows live to on average 6 to 7 years.
Cows give 60 lb. of milk a day.
Cows eat 100 lb. of feed a day, 20 lb. of grain, and drink a bath tub full of water a day.
Cows can weigh 1,350 lb., and 85 lb. at birth.
A cow spends 13 hours a day lying down and up to 8 hours a day eating.
A cow is full grown at three years old, and produces milk at two years old.
A cow gives in her lifetime enough milk to fill 200,000 glasses, and gives 18,000 lb. of milk every year.
There are 207 bones in a cow's body.
The oldest cow ever recorded was a Dremon cow named "Big Bertha" that died 3 months short of her 49th birthday on New Years Eve, 1993.
Big Bertha also holds the record for lifetime breeding as she produced 39 calves.
The heaviest live birth of a calf is 225 lbs for a British Friesian cow in 1961.
The highest lifetime production of milk for a single cow is 465,224 lbs by the cow named No. 289.
The greatest amount of milk produce in one year was 59,298 lbs by a Holstein cow named Robthom Suzet Paddy.
The greatest amount of milk produced during a single day was 241 lbs by a cow named Urbe Blanca.
Dairy cows can produce 125 lbs of saliva a day.
Dairy cows can produce up to 200 lbs of farts and flatus (burps) a day!
The Sanskrit word for "war" means "desire for more cows."
Twelve or more cows are known as a "flink."
It is possible to lead a cow upstairs but not downstairs, because a cows' knees can't bend properly to walk back down.
There are (as of 1988) 98,990,000 cows in the USA.
Texas has the most with over 13 million cows.

Ummm, not all of your facts are accurate....

Even Holsteins weigh more than 450-500 lbs at a year of age, maybe Jerseys are in that range, or dexters....

Maybe it's just me, but I've yet to see a 20 lb kidney on a post mortem exam....

And maybe dairy cows eat grain, but as we all know, most beef don't.....

But I'm sure you know all this :D

Vicky the vet":1y5e3efi said:
Even Holsteins weigh more than 450-500 lbs at a year of age, maybe Jerseys are in that range, or dexters....

I found that intersting too since the dairy heifers I'm familiar with will weight 900-1100 lbs as yearlings. The heavy ones are at one dairy that pounds the silage to them.

A one year old female calf is called a heifer.
Among other tidbits of misinformation, this one jumped out at me. A female calf is a heifer from the day she is born until the day she has her own calf, then she is officially a cow.
It is possible to lead a cow upstairs but not downstairs, because a cows' knees can't bend properly to walk back down.
Had to add this one, too. Maybe it's true about a cow not being able to go down stairs designed for humans but they certainly can go down stairs which are designed for cows. They just need a longer tread on the steps.

MikeC said:
Her liver weighs 10 to 12 pounds, and the kidney's average 20 pounds each.
quote]

The weight on the liver is about right sometimes bigger but the Kidney's are only about 6-8 inches long and about 3 inchs in diameter. A cows kidney for those of you that don't know looks like a cluster of grapes.I think they only weight about 2 lbs each. I know i am being picky. Thanks for shareing them they are pretty neat.

Pretty interesting. They are wrong about the vomiting also. We had a bull bloat and I saw him puke around 10 times. He probably did it more times. That is just all that I saw.

Yea most of our cows are hitting their prime when they are 6 to 7 years old.... by that time they have had 4 to 5 calves and you have a really good idea whether or not you want to use them as donors or not.

Vicky the vet":1c5tzuis said:
Ummm, not all of your facts are accurate....

Maybe it's just me, but I've yet to see a 20 lb kidney on a post mortem exam....

And maybe dairy cows eat grain, but as we all know, most beef don't.....

But I'm sure you know all this :D

I think MikeC was also questioning these fun facts.

49 year old cow had to be a toothless bag of bones. I can't imagine a cow making it that long.

milesvb":a4bvdiz0 said:
MikeC":a4bvdiz0 said:
Cows live to on average 6 to 7 years.

What breed averages that?

If any of ours keeled over at that age I'd be scratchin' my head wondering what happened.

To me, this might be one of the real facts in the list.

If we all counted the culls and slaughter anumals in the mixture, I could see where the average age is 6-7 years. ;-)

Chris H":1zysai1x said:
Had to add this one, too. Maybe it's true about a cow not being able to go down stairs designed for humans but they certainly can go down stairs which are designed for cows. They just need a longer tread on the steps.

If they couldn;t go down stairs nearly every milk parlor in the ozarks would be full of cows

I dont want to sound dumb now, but I was always taught cows have four stomachs. They are all connected I know, so is that why they are said to have only one?

Katy

Canadian_Cowgirl":1ih8bmq5 said:
I dont want to sound dumb now, but I was always taught cows have four stomachs. They are all connected I know, so is that why they are said to have only one?

Katy

1-Rumen
2-Reticulum
3-Omasum
4-Abomasum

MikeC":1x04pcwh said:
Canadian_Cowgirl":1x04pcwh said:

Katy

1-Rumen
2-Reticulum
3-Omasum
4-Abomasum

I know the names, and that there are 4 but technicly theres one??

Katy

Canadian_Cowgirl":ak6qog8e said:

Katy
Some of these are quite amusing :lol:

1 stomach - 4 compartments

So why does everyone say they have four?? Cows are known for having for stomachs. Looking at it it has four, they are just connected, but its not one circle or oval, its long and has four differnt circrly looking compartments conected with tissue. So ill keep saying there is four! :p

Katy

Canadian_Cowgirl":18d8f0jp said:
So why does everyone say they have four?? Cows are known for having for stomachs. Looking at it it has four, they are just connected, but its not one circle or oval, its long and has four differnt circrly looking compartments conected with tissue. So ill keep saying there is four! :p

Katy

Here's a diagram: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://www.creamland.com/mteamcow4.html

MikeC":34h29nk6 said:
Canadian_Cowgirl":34h29nk6 said:

Katy

Here's a diagram: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://www.creamland.com/mteamcow4.html

Thank you so much! It sums it up really good! theres FOUR!!! :lol: :lol:

Katy