Cow experiencing paralysis/nervous system issues

Help Support CattleToday:

Aearrinn

Reaction score
My question is concerning a cow that we have who is experiencing what seems to be some sort of paralysisor nervous system problem. She seems to be very healthy otherwise - her vitals are good, she's eating and her eyes are bright, but she cannot stand and hasn't been able to for about three days now. We have gone out and tried to get her up, but she can only stand for a moment before collapsing. She has movement in all of her limbs but not much control at all. She hasn't had any trauma that we know about, but she has recently had some vaccinations and she is in a pasture that has some lupin plants. Does this sound like anything familiar?

What's her reproductive history? last calved when? What's her temp? What vaccinations? Is she eating/drinking?

I would say that being she can still stand, even if only for a short time gives some hope. But yes, Is this at all related to recent calving?

Thanks for the replies. She's not even a year old and hasn't calved. She recently got the NuFlow (Spelling?) vaccine, and her temperature is normal. She is eating and drinking, but of course it needs to be brought to her. We've run about 80 cattle in the pasture she's in and have never had any issues, but we're wondering if there couldn't be an issue with some of the plants? Any thoughts? Thanks!

I have to admit that when I read the title to your post, "mad cow" popped in my head.
wink.gif

Have you consulted your veterinarian about her? You might want to have your vet check her out and see if it is worth your time and money trying to getting her well, or if she will even recover.

Her problem could be caused by any number of things. Another cow could have knocked her down or tried to ride her. If she is running with a bull he could have tried to breed her and injured her.

My husband had a bull that exhibited similar signs. He was euthanized. The vet discovered that a parasite had tunneled through his brain causing brain damage. I don't remember the type of worm.

If you are concerned about poisonous plants, contact your County Extension Agent and see if he/she will come and evaluate your pasture. No one here can help you with that because we do not know where you live or what your pasture looks like.