Cow due in 8 days, hind leg injury

Help Support CattleToday:

millstreaminn

Reaction score
I've got a 12 year old cow due in 8 days that has injured her right rear leg. I noticed her favoring her foot last week, put her in a pen and treated her for foot rot. She has gotten progressively worse, and the problem is not her foot, but possibly her stifle joint or hip. She's having more and more trouble getting up, and this morning she didn't get up. She is eating and drinking normally and when she gets up, she will lay back down within a few minutes.

I called my normal vet 2 days ago, but unfortunately she had a death in the family so was unable to help me. I called another vet and the soonest she can come is tonight at 6pm. I have been giving the cow dexamethazone daily, with little or no response. I am really not expecting the vet to be able to do anything for the cow tonight either.

I was wondering about asking the vet to do a normal c section on the cow and then have her put down. Any other ideas I should discuss with the vet tonight?

AHHH, if your confident on bred date I would consider getting the vet to induce labor maybe you can save the calf. It will be better on the cow if she can have it naturally. plus once the calf is out I would think you could see an improvement in her mobility.

Why not induce labor see if she can have it and then lift her up and at that point start treating with dex or predef 2x

M-5":3kvr6c49 said:
AHHH, if your confident on bred date I would consider getting the vet to induce labor maybe you can save the calf. It will be better on the cow if she can have it naturally. plus once the calf is out I would think you could see an improvement in her mobility.
My thoughts too. Calves sometimes lay in a position that pinches nerves and causes a minor lameness. Rather then banamine I would l would slip her a dozen aspirin morning and night, regular 325 mg people type.
Had an issue similar with Granny. After the aspirin treatment for a couple of weeks she went on to produce 5 more calves with never any other lameness issues.

Dun, How did you get the aspirin in her? I have a balling gun but how would I keep them from falling out? I don't have any sweet feed, she is already way too fat as it is.

On second thought, she loves to eat whole cob corn. I could drill a hole in the cob and put the aspirin in there...

I've crushed aspirin boluses and drizzled molasses over them, mixed them with cubes, broken them in half & shoved them inside a Twinkie or hot dog bun (don't judge, it worked), one of my girls loves banana peels and I once wrapped a couple boluses inside the peel, and I just bought molasses flavored aspirin powder - haven't tried it yet.

skyhightree1":huw0b0e9 said:
my cattle are used to eating grain and sweet feed so they just eat it with that whole
I fed them mixed in a handful of grain mix. But I sometimes wonder if that's even necessarry. She may just eat them from a tub or trough with nothing mixed with them.

dun":1fp0axdd said:
skyhightree1":1fp0axdd said:
my cattle are used to eating grain and sweet feed so they just eat it with that whole
I fed them mixed in a handful of grain mix. But I sometimes wonder if that's even necessarry. She may just eat them from a tub or trough with nothing mixed with them.

Very true they seem to devour anything that falls in a trough. BTW dun told me to do that with one of my hurt cows she came out good.

I had the vet up Friday evening. She didn't want to induce the cow or do a c section. She recommended Banamine, 12cc twice a day, which I have been doing. I am also giving her 12 aspirin twice a day. She had been eating good, but now her appetite is depressed. She gets up and down pretty well, but when she stands, she holds her rear leg off the ground and it just shakes. I'm just trying to keep her comfortable, and hopefully she can deliver her calf normally. Time will tell.