cow down

Help Support CattleToday:

regolith":3djtolry said:
It's not uncommon at any stage of lactation in NZ dairy herds... in fact, I think a lot of farmers don't recognise it when it happens at an unexpected time. Being on heat is a risk factor for MF, so is supplementation with certain minerals (zinc).
Just agreeing with TB: it's probably not the case here but it's the first thing to cover with a down cow for any reason... doesn't hurt, as long as Mg not given too fast into the vein.
rego the dry cow period of nutrition i just as if not more important than the lactating feeding. Ca is one the primary culprit in milk fever but it is not lack of calcium but rather feeding too much calcium during the dry period in both the grain ration and the grazing and/or hay fed. One reason a well formulated and balanced dry cow feeding program will eliminate a huge majority of milk fever cases as well as retained placentas.

Gee, all along I thought this thread was about beef cows, not dairy. But I guess some places they milk Brangus cows instead of Holsteins or Jerseys.

dun":3ugwwhxz said:
Gee, all along I thought this thread was about beef cows, not dairy. But I guess some places they milk Brangus cows instead of Holsteins or Jerseys.
"Cow down"...breed not in title line but I think it was brangus type....but I have milked Brahman/Holstein crosses. Pretty darn good milkers to with awesome BF and protein.

TexasBred":1z4snetr said:
dun":1z4snetr said:
"Cow down"...breed not in title line but I think it was brangus type....but I have milked Brahman/Holstein crosses. Pretty darn good milkers to with awesome BF and protein.
Not in the title line but specified in the post about the problem.

Hang in there Cypress. When she does finally stand up ,all this lack of sleep and extra work will totally be worth it .

I would keep up with the anti inflams and give her some antibiotics jic she starts to get some rubbing etc from scooting around on her hocks .

Here is a pic of Lexi a week after she had been down for 5 weeks . As you can she she looks great except for a little swelling and rubbing on her hocks .

400304_2888475607703_1134577259_3124141_1647598270_n.jpg

Was really worried about her being in all that mud, but she did very well.

dun":3p94jlap said:

Now THAT would be a challenge!

Vet came out again yesterday; I lifted her up with the front end loader. He said that he originally suspected a pinched nerve; now she had progressed to not being able to move her back legs or tail - he seemed to think that there was spinal cord damage of some sort. In his mind, there was little hope, even though she still remained alert.

Only thing worse than a dead cow is a suffering cow, so the ordeal is over now. Sure would have been nice to save her, but I did everything that I could.

Strange though; within 30 minutes of me taking care of her, another cow calved a brand new beautiful heifer calf. I think I'll call her #35; and who knows, she may take the place as a mama cow in the herd of the real #35 :)

Sorry to hear there wasn't a better outcome.
Hopefully the new 35 knocks it outta the park for you

i was not even thinking about a broken back.but that could very well be what caused her to go down.its a shame you had to pay 2 vet bills on her though.

I am sorry Cypress . Never gets easier to make that call does it , but if she was suffering that is the kindest thing you could do for her . :(
How is her calf doing ?

Congrats on the new beautiful heifer . :tiphat:

I'm sorry to hear that Cypress. You gave her every chance. it definitely bites when it doesn't work out. And ditto to what hooknline posted, I hope #35 Junior turns out to be a dandy.

Katherine

Sorry to hear that sometimes a cows just gives up & just doesn't want to go through it anymore doesn't make it any easier to have to end their pain or your for that matter :cry2:

That was what I had t odo with one of my top cows this year, same reason. SUCKS

bigbull338":1pirvte1 said:
i was not even thinking about a broken back.but that could very well be what caused her to go down.its a shame you had to pay 2 vet bills on her though.

Me either, because she was moving her back legs at first. It makes sense though - she definitely was not improving but turning for the worse, no matter how much medecine or supplements I pumped into her.

The family didn't understand the look on my face when I left out with the gun, and returned later. Wasn't in the mood for talking, for sure. If you have 'em you lose 'em, as Caustic would say. It doesn't make it easy though. Anyone who says it is...well I just can't understand that train of thought.

Latest posts