Cow down

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

What do i need to do when i have a cow laying down over three days and will not eat or drink

thats along time with out calling the vet!If shes an old cow u might consider putting her in the freezer.the vet should have been called the first day.put yourself in her hooves?

Shoot her. You've waited way to long to do her much good now.

dun

Justin":3ki7p0cv said:
What do i need to do when i have a cow laying down over three days and will not eat or drink

Justin":393hd421 said:

I would encourage the cow to get up through positive reinforcement. By standing by it and yelling YA! in a very loud manner. Get Up! seems to work very well for me also. Hot Shot, front end loaders, Pickups, and winches may aid in the encouragement. The 30.06 seems to have negative effects but does reduce labor costs.

BLACKPOWER":3uzfknvl said:
Justin":3uzfknvl said:

I would encourage the cow to get up through positive reinforcement. By standing by it and yelling YA! in a very loud manner. Get Up Bitch! seems to work very well for me also. Hot Shot, front end loaders, Pickups, and winches may aid in the encouragement. The 30.06 seems to have negative effects but does reduce labor costs.
BP
Lets not give some greenhorns ideas; ie, using a hot shot on a downer that can't get up. Some may try and the poor animal can still feel. No point in torturing it.

Me personally, I'd rather have a "nudge" from a hotshot than a 30-06 in my forehead. Hotshot sparingly is better for first attempt. Centerfire rifle for second attempt.

la4angus":f3qd33wk said:
BLACKPOWER":f3qd33wk said:
Justin":f3qd33wk said:

I would encourage the cow to get up through positive reinforcement. By standing by it and yelling YA! in a very loud manner. Get Up Bitch! seems to work very well for me also. Hot Shot, front end loaders, Pickups, and winches may aid in the encouragement. The 30.06 seems to have negative effects but does reduce labor costs.
BP
Lets not give some greenhorns ideas; ie, using a hot shot on a downer that can't get up. Some may try and the poor animal can still feel. No point in torturing it.

I agree I'm just feeling pretty sarcastic today.

D.R. Cattle":2d3vee68 said:
Me personally, I'd rather have a "nudge" from a hotshot than a 30-06 in my forehead. Hotshot sparingly is better for first attempt. Centerfire rifle for second attempt.
No offense, but the nudge sparringly would be OK. One time, but I have seen many, and especially young wannabes that had their first livestock
experience at the sale barn want to keep using it and laugh at the animal that is trying to get up and can't. No point in making it sound OK.

Call the vet.. you can also give her some Calcium, phosphorous and magnesium.. it comes in a tube that looks like caulk. When a cow goes down, they loose these minerals really fast and it tends to perk them up. Does she have a temp? I read all the posts telling you to shoot her.. even if you choose that route (I would not) .. you may want to know what made her sick...could be contagious ....

Latest posts