Cow Down

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

We have an eight year old hereford cow that was in poor condition. She got stuck in a mud hole (she should have been able to get out but was in a weakened condition) and we pulled her out with a tractor. We rolled her up in a sitting position and covered her with blankets. She ate or drank nothing for two days although she had fresh food and water within reach. We made a travois out of a gate and pulled her into the barn and sat her up. She immediately began drinking and eating like a pig. We give her two scoops of beef pellets and fresh hay and water every day. Also sweet mag minerals. She is very alert and tries to get up but seems to have a weak left hind leg. We roll her over and work her hind legs several times a day. She is fighting us more and seems to be stronger. How long should we give her and does ANYONE have any ideas?

[email protected]

She may have injured something trying to get out of the bog. As long as she stays alert, eats and keeps trying, I'ld keep working with her. I've seen cows down for a pretty long spell and get up and do ok afterwards.

dun

> We have an eight year old hereford
> cow that was in poor condition.
> She got stuck in a mud hole (she
> should have been able to get out
> but was in a weakened condition)
> and we pulled her out with a
> tractor. We rolled her up in a
> sitting position and covered her
> with blankets. She ate or drank
> nothing for two days although she
> had fresh food and water within
> reach. We made a travois out of a
> gate and pulled her into the barn
> and sat her up. She immediately
> began drinking and eating like a
> pig. We give her two scoops of
> beef pellets and fresh hay and
> water every day. Also sweet mag
> minerals. She is very alert and
> tries to get up but seems to have
> a weak left hind leg. We roll her
> over and work her hind legs
> several times a day. She is
> fighting us more and seems to be
> stronger. How long should we give
> her and does ANYONE have any
> ideas?

[email protected]

> She may have injured something
> trying to get out of the bog. As
> long as she stays alert, eats and
> keeps trying, I'd keep working
> with her. I've seen cows down for
> a pretty long spell and get up and
> do ok afterwards.

I had something similiar happen and my advice is to get her up soon.. I ordered a "Daisy Cow Lifter " from Nasco catalog. <A HREF="http://www.enasco.com" TARGET="_blank">www.enasco.com</A>. I find that it is a must for any farm. They do have several diffrent types of slings in various price ranges. We are thinking about getting one of the higher end ones in the future because they look easier to work with. Our vet also gave her doses of of Dexamethazone (sp) for swelling. I wish you good luck!

kat

> dun

[email protected]

Get a tube of magnesium, calcium and phorphorous.. most feed stores have it.. looks like a tube of chalking. The stuff I buy if CPM, i think. You will need the applicator.. give her the whole tube on the rear of the tongue.. perks em right up!