Cow Down

Help Support CattleToday:

BK9954

Reaction score
Heavy bred cow down but eating and drinking a little day and a half ago (in the evening) Neighbor said it was probably the baby positioned restricting the cow from getting up. I sent pictures to the doc and he had me come by and pick up the 4 of the calcium gel tubes, like the one at TSC but it had double the calcium per tube for milk fever. With the price of cattle I didn't want to pay $350 house call for an IV . I gave her one yesterday at 1pm, then one at 10 pm last night, he told me 1 more this morning and 1 more tonight. This morning she was up eating hay with the rest of them. Had anyone seen a cow recover this quick with the calcium gel? Seemed pretty quick to me.

I know that milk fever gets cured real quick from an IV.. I'd expect it to be a little slower ingested, but that sounds about right.. good that she's up again

Son of Butch":g2r4foht said:
2 tubes left over.... I'd give her one of them right after calving.
I gave her one more this morning I guess I can save the last one for after calving

Never used the gel but their usually up in about an hour after a bolus. An IV takes just a few minutes and their up

Dempster":jtsxvsge said:
You need to find a different neighbor to get medical advice from.

Tell me more. I've never had much luck getting a downer up.

BK9954":3illb75z said:
Had anyone seen a cow recover this quick with the calcium gel? Seemed pretty quick to me.

Yes. Many times. A vet had given up on one that was down for over a week. The owner gave me the cow. I think he knew I had a backhoe and he didn't want to pay disposal. The vet had been giving her an IV every day. I gave her two tubes of CMPK before I pulled her in the trailer. Treated her knees when I got her home because she had rubbed them raw. I had her on her feet by the next day. Owner didn't believe it and had to come take a look. I wound up buying her.

BK9954":ne9ectlo said:
Heavy bred cow down but eating and drinking a little day and a half ago (in the evening) Neighbor said it was probably the baby positioned restricting the cow from getting up. I sent pictures to the doc and he had me come by and pick up the 4 of the calcium gel tubes, like the one at TSC but it had double the calcium per tube for milk fever. With the price of cattle I didn't want to pay $350 house call for an IV . I gave her one yesterday at 1pm, then one at 10 pm last night, he told me 1 more this morning and 1 more tonight. This morning she was up eating hay with the rest of them. Had anyone seen a cow recover this quick with the calcium gel? Seemed pretty quick to me.
If you could have administered and IV she would probably been up in 5-10 minutes and required only one treatment.

backhoeboogie":1r7ekk2b said:
BK9954":1r7ekk2b said:
Had anyone seen a cow recover this quick with the calcium gel? Seemed pretty quick to me.

Yes. Many times. A vet had given up on one that was down for over a week. The owner gave me the cow. I think he knew I had a backhoe and he didn't want to pay disposal. The vet had been giving her an IV every day. I gave her two tubes of CMPK before I pulled her in the trailer. Treated her knees when I got her home because she had rubbed them raw. I had her on her feet by the next day. Owner didn't believe it and had to come take a look. I wound up buying her.
This is one we might could throw the :bs: flag on. Vet was most likely giving CMPK via IV and should have got same results as you and a day earlier. Then again he may have only given her a dextrose solution.

TexasBred":2eaiciys said:
backhoeboogie":2eaiciys said:
BK9954":2eaiciys said:

This is one we might could throw the :bs: flag on. Vet was most likely giving CMPK via IV and should have got same results as you and a day earlier. Then again he may have only given her a dextrose solution.

Why just throw one flag ? Throw a couple of dozen. It doesn't matter. I am answering BK9954.

Talk to Doc Kinnard out of Mabank, TX. He's the vet who taught me this.

The owner was a probation officer out of Granbury. He spent money for the cow. Then spent a fortune with the vet. Then GAVE the cow to me. His wife pitched a hissy when she found out. So I told him I had X dollars and my time invested and he was welcome to take her back. Then he felt bad and offered to sell her at a low price. Both front knee joints were raw. She wasn't worth much at the sale barn. So I wound up buying her. I could give you his name as well if I knew it was okay.

How do I flag a post ? I want to give Mod 2 the man's name and confirmation. I have had my gut full of TB.

Macon? Can you help me out here ? I've got the guy's name and phone number !! PM me please.

BK9954":290wx6oi said:

Back to your post BK. Yes.

Consult with Doc Kinnard out of Mabank, TX He was head of TX Vet association at one time. May still be. He's an old Aggie but don't hold that against him. He's a great guy. Knows cattle. Been working cows all his life. Works a lot of sale barns too.

backhoeboogie":3g7ivcnj said:
TexasBred":3g7ivcnj said:
backhoeboogie":3g7ivcnj said:

Why just throw one flag ? Throw a couple of dozen. It doesn't matter. I am answering BK9954.

The owner was a probation officer out of Granbury. He spent money for the cow. Then spent a fortune with the vet. Then GAVE the cow to me. His wife pitched a hissy when she found out. So I told him I had X dollars and my time invested and he was welcome to take her back. Then he felt bad and offered to sell her at a low price. Both front knee joints were raw. She wasn't worth much at the sale barn. So I wound up buying her. I could give you his name as well if I knew it was okay.
Being ""down""over a week was probably here biggest problem, even after treatment.. You moving her around was most likely what did the trick..

backhoeboogie":jn0byr2w said:
TexasBred":jn0byr2w said:
backhoeboogie":jn0byr2w said:

BHB there is a reason 99% of veterinarians use IV's of CMPK or something like Narcalciphos for milk fever. It works and it works quickly. Milk fever can kill sometimes kill in minutes. Not saying the paste does not work and your vet probably recommended it because he knew you didn't know how to administer an IV solution. I'll stick with IV's if I have a cow with milk fever.

I'm not good with IV's in the neck, but I can get it in the milk vein when the cow is down. Still, I will use a tube of gel when I have some reservations about a heavy bred cow, especially an older jersey. Another thing an old vet told me once.... use the calcium CMPK tube, then about a half hour to an hour later, give them just an energy gel tube. As the calcium gets into their system, then the energy will follow and give them some extra "oomph" and they will often get up. It's not a big deal to keep a few tubes of the gel on hand and you don't have to deal with the needles or trying to keep it sanitary. We have given a few over the years to older beef cows that have been wobbly or down. It won't hurt them if that is not the reason they are down either. And sometimes, moving them will relieve pressure on the nerves and that could have been PART of why a cow doesn't get up.

TexasBred":29ayh688 said:
backhoeboogie":29ayh688 said:
TexasBred":29ayh688 said:

BHB there is a reason 99% of veterinarians use IV's of CMPK or something like Narcalciphos for milk fever. It works and it works quickly. Milk fever can kill sometimes kill in minutes. Not saying the paste does not work and your vet probably recommended it because he knew you didn't know how to administer an IV solution. I'll stick with IV's if I have a cow with milk fever.
IV's odvisoly work the best no argument there. But the convenients of the bolus makes it well worth the extra 50 minutes before the cow gets up to me

Latest posts