Cow Down

Help Support CattleToday:

Please read the original post. Think about the original time span cited. That seems a little long to me. The original poster feels it was fast.

Yes I have experienced it that quick. Usually faster. Not everyone has been the same age. Not every one has been the same breed. Some it doesn't work on.

Seeing is believing. That is why I order 12 tubes at a time from Valley Vet. Because I have seen it. Many times.

That folks, is why I answered yes, and cited the most extreme case I have experienced.

I am really sorry many of you have not experienced this success. All you have to do is answer "no". For me the answer is yes.

I saw milk fever once when I was a kid. Dad and Grandpa had her fixed up in minutes with a lantern pump and some twine. Sometimes the old remedies work just as well I guess.

OK, Silver, I'll bite. What did they pump and what did they use the twine for?
Hate to even say the words, but I have never seen milk fever in my herd - 48 years. And, this is a heavy milking breed.

Silver":3q7es3ys said:
I saw milk fever once when I was a kid. Dad and Grandpa had her fixed up in minutes with a lantern pump and some twine. Sometimes the old remedies work just as well I guess.

Do elaborate. This is a new one for me.

JMJ Farms":2zikze2q said:
Silver":2zikze2q said:

Thought I explained it before. You use the pump on the cows teats to pump the milk back into the bloodstream, thereby reintroducing calcium. It's the old method from before IV's and such. The twine is to tie off the teat to keep the milk up.

ez14.":577r7loe said:
TexasBred":577r7loe said:
backhoeboogie":577r7loe said:
Why just throw one flag ? Throw a couple of dozen. It doesn't matter. I am answering BK9954.

Talk to Doc Kinnard out of Mabank, TX. He's the vet who taught me this.

The owner was a probation officer out of Granbury. He spent money for the cow. Then spent a fortune with the vet. Then GAVE the cow to me. His wife pitched a hissy when she found out. So I told him I had X dollars and my time invested and he was welcome to take her back. Then he felt bad and offered to sell her at a low price. Both front knee joints were raw. She wasn't worth much at the sale barn. So I wound up buying her. I could give you his name as well if I knew it was okay.
BHB there is a reason 99% of veterinarians use IV's of CMPK or something like Narcalciphos for milk fever. It works and it works quickly. Milk fever can kill sometimes kill in minutes. Not saying the paste does not work and your vet probably recommended it because he knew you didn't know how to administer an IV solution. I'll stick with IV's if I have a cow with milk fever.
IV's odvisoly work the best no argument there. But the convenients of the bolus makes it well worth the extra 50 minutes before the cow gets up to me
True but as Farmerjan just posted the milk vein is sticking out at you like a big target and so easy to utilize and meds go to work immediately. I would always follow with a bottle of 50% dextrose solution.

Silver":2uwbij3t said:
JMJ Farms":2uwbij3t said:
Silver":2uwbij3t said:

Thought I explained it before. You use the pump on the cows teats to pump the milk back into the bloodstream, thereby reintroducing calcium. It's the old method from before IV's and such. The twine is to tie off the teat to keep the milk up.

Must have missed it the first go round. That's very interesting. I can honestly say I've never heard that before. But it does make perfect sense. Thanks for the explanation :tiphat:

Silver":3vt6e01j said:
JMJ Farms":3vt6e01j said:
Silver":3vt6e01j said:

Help me out here Silver. They pumped the milk back into a teat OR they pumped it into a vein such as the milk vein. Just doesn't sound like it would be effective at all but can't explain why a lot of old remedies work.

TexasBred":1r8yb572 said:
Silver":1r8yb572 said:
JMJ Farms":1r8yb572 said:

Help me out here Silver. They pumped the milk back into a teat OR they pumped it into a vein such as the milk vein. Just doesn't sound like it would be effective at all but can't explain why a lot of old remedies work.

They pumped air into the teat, forcing milk back into the blood stream.