Cow down

Help Support CattleToday:

jallen

Reaction score
Had an older cow lay down on a slope with her feet uphill. I was out of town over the weekend so last time I saw her was late Friday. Found her today Monday morning. I got her shifted around so feet are down hill now. When I walked up on her I thought she was dead, she has tried a couple times to get up but is pretty worn out it seems. Got her on grain water and hay is right by her in reach. She went to eating grain right away. Bet gave me a steroid and pain reliever to give her. How long do y'all give cows like this? She is alert and sitting upright but I'm pretty sure she was laying like that close to 48 hrs. She developed a soar on her side that was grounded. Any advice as to how long to give her?

I'd see if you can get some hip lifters on her.. that might give her the boost she needs.. Banamine, Dex could help as well.. get her bedded on some straw or hay.. I wouldn't give up too quickly

There would have been alot of pressure on her spine, the nerves, and all the muscles. The steroid should help. If she is eating, make sure she does a bowel movement, and should hopefully see signs of urination. Then I'd give her at least 24-48 hours. Do you have a tractor with a front end loader that you can get a sling under her if she tries? We had one we had to help up a couple of times before she finally got all the feeling and use of her legs back and she was a bit wobbly for a few days but then did okay. A hip lift like they use for dairy cattle is last choice but still might help her to get up and then she ought to stablize. It all depends on if she "wants" to. Sometimes they just give up trying.
What's the vet saying?

Get hasn't seen the cow. She has made some attempts to get up but not a lot of luck so far. I'll be back home soon and will see what I can work out. I have a tractor with FEL but no sling. Would big straps work ok?

jallen":1d8gx11a said:
Get hasn't seen the cow. She has made some attempts to get up but not a lot of luck so far. I'll be back home soon and will see what I can work out. I have a tractor with FEL but no sling. Would big straps work ok?

Yes wide straps will work. if she is just wore out from struggling I would be inclined to get her positioned correctly and give her time.

I'm pretty sure she's just worn out from trying to get up the last two days. Eating and drinking good. She would not lift her head at all when I found her and was lifeless. Once I got her spun around and helped her sit up she has stayed upright no problem. Time will tell I guess but I want to help her any way I can manage.

jallen":3rea8g07 said:
Had an older cow lay down on a slope with her feet uphill. I was out of town over the weekend so last time I saw her was late Friday. Found her today Monday morning. I got her shifted around so feet are down hill now. When I walked up on her I thought she was dead, she has tried a couple times to get up but is pretty worn out it seems. Got her on grain water and hay is right by her in reach. She went to eating grain right away. Bet gave me a steroid and pain reliever to give her. How long do y'all give cows like this? She is alert and sitting upright but I'm pretty sure she was laying like that close to 48 hrs. She developed a soar on her side that was grounded. Any advice as to how long to give her?

It's amazing she still alive, after being cast that long.

jallen":328lr2zd said:
I'm pretty sure she's just worn out from trying to get up the last two days. Eating and drinking good. She would not lift her head at all when I found her and was lifeless. Once I got her spun around and helped her sit up she has stayed upright no problem. Time will tell I guess but I want to help her any way I can manage.

It sounds like she probably just needs more time. Keep fresh water, hay, and some good feed in front of her. She'll probably get up in a day or two.

Nesikep":1ptxq9jt said:
I'd see if you can get some hip lifters on her.. that might give her the boost she needs.. Banamine, Dex could help as well.. get her bedded on some straw or hay.. I wouldn't give up too quickly

X2! We use lifts around here too. They've saved a cow or two!

I put her down. When I got home she was back laying down on her side and was absolutely spent. I tried for a solid hour to get her to sit up but she couldn't hold it. Got her picked up with the tractor buy her entire body was limp, wouldn't try to eat sweet feed at all. I felt like she was ready to quit trying so I went ahead with it. I'm guessing she was every bit of 10-12 maybe more. Had it been a younger cow I would have given it longer but the old girl was just pitiful.

Sorry for your loss jallen.... Sometimes in this line of work, it is necessary to do what you did. Most of us have been there... doesn't make it any easier, just makes it a part of what we do.

True Grit I sure was too. I had taken a liking to her over the rest of them. She was just an old run down cow but she was so laid back it was scary. She knew to wait up by the house every afternoon and I'd give her a few lbs of sweet feed. Oh well that's part of it, not the first I've put down and I'm sure it won't be the last.

TN Cattle Man":3k5p1g8l said:
Sorry for your loss jallen.... Sometimes in this line of work, it is necessary to do what you did. Most of us have been there... doesn't make it any easier, just makes it a part of what we do.

x2. Downers are heartbreaking and I'm sorry for your loss.

Sorry to hear. But if they go out flat and won't try, sometimes it is kindest. Maybe you could've tried something else, maybe not. At that age it would be hard to tell. It's part of it, sad to say.

Sorry to hear it. Sounds like you did the humane thing.

I'm with Bigfoot, I'm surprised she even survived. I lost my best Jersey nurse cow that way.

Im sorry you lost her. I had to shoot one yesterday too . She was old and poor . I was trying to trap her because she wouldn't come to the pens. She really needed worming. She got down in a slough and couldn't get up . I hate to see them suffer. But you are gonna lose some if you have em.

I appreciate everyone's kind words. I think I did the best thing for the cow. Sure I could have given it longer and let her lay there but when I feel in my gut they have quit I'm not going to let one lay there just to hopefully get a few more dollars out of them. I fell good about what I did. She's not miserable any longer and that's fine by me.

To be honest with you. I've never had much luck once they were down for more than a day .you did what was right .

Latest posts