Cow down with 2 week old calf

Help Support CattleToday:

David222Haney

Reaction score
Hello,
I have a 10yr-old cow that had a bull calf 2 weeks ago. She has been moving very slow since 2 weeks before the birth. She was down yesterday morning when I checked on her. I can't get her up. Even using a hoist, she refuses to stand. She is breathing heavy and doesn't move much except occasionally slings her legs a little. Her bag is very large. I have given her a calcium drench and vitamin B shot. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions?

David222Haney":bam36ved said:
I got your reply. Thank you.

David, I'm not brushing you off. There are so many things this could be that it is very difficult to even offer a suggestion. It could be disease, it could be toxic plants, it could be pregnancy related, it could be age related, it could be a thousand things - it's impossible to tell without seeing the cow and knowing her background. Even if someone could offer a suggestion, how do you know it's the right one? You could very well waste time and money doctoring with different things when that isn't the problem to begin with - meanwhile, the cow isn't getting better. The heavy breathing could be pneumonia, but the occasional slinging of her legs could be neurological and the two usually don't go together. On the other hand, the two together could be an indication that she ingested some sort of toxic plant - but which one? Your best bet would be to call your vet.

8) I know. I am pretty new at working with cattle. I did try to get a vet out, but none would come over the weekend. I plan to try again on Monday. I got a guy out here who knows a little about cattle. He put a couple bags of IV fluid in her for me, but he did not seem optimistic about her survival. We are trying to keep her proped up on her side a little and take care of her calf. I was being very sincere about my "thank you" for replying. I am brand new to this site and figured I would not get a response this late. Thanks again and have a wonderful week! :cboy:

David222Haney":rchzt83f said:
We are trying to keep her proped up on her side a little and take care of her calf. I was being very sincere about my "thank you" for replying. I am brand new to this site and figured I would not get a response this late. Thanks again and have a wonderful week! :cboy:

You're welcome, and you too. :) Since she is down, she needs to be rolled every few hours to keep circulation going and prevent sores from forming. There are usually people on here at all hours of the night and day.

Take her temp. In most cases the temp is the first thing the vet is going to need to know.
It could be as simple as pneumonia or complex such as milk fever or any other of a dozen things.