Cow down in front

Help Support CattleToday:

Steve Banks

Reaction score
This cow has been down for a day, I've lifted her with hip lifts but she doesn't want to get up on her front feet! I've had other down cows before but usually they would get right up on their front feet when I made a lift. This cow is young (4), due to calve last of Feb. She seems alert.

Be patient with her and take care of her and I bet she will get up. I would not try to lift her too much, I think you can do more harm than good at times. She needs time to heal. I had a young cow stay down for 3 weeks and got up and I stilll have her. Wasnt from calving but seemed to be a bruised nerve or back problem. Her calf was 3 months old and she nursed it laying down. She would flop over to let it nurse the other side. Real smart cow and would not give up, that is why I kept her.

I would keep hiplifting her, and let her hang for awhile, she needs to keep that circulation going. What do you think caused her to go down, lameness?

Sometimes Dexamethazone will do the trick, 10cc's IM, that what we give to downer cows, or ones that have had partial paralysis due to calving.

GMN

Latest posts