cow down after hard delivery....any hope for her??

Help Support CattleToday:

kaykay":2rym7ed2 said:
this was SUPPOSE to be a bull that would throw 65 lb calves, had to pull another 120 lb one tonight from 3 yr old cow, 4 out of 5 have been over 100 lbs. We got rid of this bull but still seeing the damage he done. He was a Simmental, the ranch we got him from replaced him with one that they had used.
Guess we will call vet back, just wondered from others experiences, or any advice to offer.

Low birthweight Simmentals, now that's a good one.

If she is alert keep rolling her side to side a couple times a day. Grab her by the tailhead and pick up. She may get up and walk around with some help, but she'll more than likely go back down. I had one go down in the spring for eight days. On about day 5 I was able to get her up by picking up on the tailhead and I would 'walk' her three times a day. On the eighth day I was across the pasture watching another heifer calving. I had been there for a while and I looked up and there she was standing next to me. She couldn't stand not seeing what was going on.

JB

she was sitting up and alert the first two days, but the 3rd day she had all four legs stretched out in front of her and laid flat out, couldnt raise head and eyes just rolled back. She never closed up in her back end either, stayed gapped open.......anyone ever had that happen before??

Believe it or not, the ranch we got our Simmental from had lots of new borns that we looked at and they were right around 60-65 lbs. Out of this same bull we had one last week that weighed around 50 lbs......all the rest have been big. A friend of ours had a black simmental and he never had any birthing problems, they weighed about 65 lbs. He sold it cause he didnt like the color variations he got.

Thanks Txshowmom for taking up for me, dont know why some people try to make others feel stupid or bad. There is lots of others that really try to be helpful and I appreciate all of them!!!!!

Sorry, That was a hard lesson learned.

The people you buy your cattle from is more important than the cattle you buy, especally when youre first starting out.
A good honest cattleman wont risk his reputation for a quick buck.

You need to find a local producer you trust.

Hillbilly

Sorry to hear about your loss. Sounds like you have a small herd, like myself. Must have been very difficult to see her like that.

Just curious, what did you guys do with her after you shot her? Did you bury her? Can you call a rendering plant to come get her? What is the normal process for a big cow dying on you? Is is still safe to eat her?

We dug a big hole right next to her calf and buried her. We have seen some people just leave them laying around for whatever animal that wants them. Yes, there is a rendering plant nearby, dont know if they will pick them up but we felt her place was with her calf, didnt even considering rendering.
We had given her a steroid shot from the vet and antibiotics so dont know how safe she would have been to eat.

eric":22f6mgz9 said:
Sorry to hear about your loss. Sounds like you have a small herd, like myself. Must have been very difficult to see her like that.

Just curious, what did you guys do with her after you shot her? Did you bury her? Can you call a rendering plant to come get her? What is the normal process for a big cow dying on you? Is is still safe to eat her?

Eat her. Make sure if you gave her any shots that you pay attention to the withdrawl period.

We just burn them.

I may sound dumb, but how do you burn a cow carcass? We have never done that, but I have herd it said a few times before. Does it burn completely up, no bones left?

BLACKPOWER":2sv8wisn said:
eric":2sv8wisn said:

Eat her. Make sure if you gave her any shots that you pay attention to the withdrawl period.

That's decent advice.

Craig-TX

One of the things that people loose sight of is that the bull is only half of the genetics. The cow contributes half of the genetics but 100% of the nurturing. There are also flukes that one particular cow or cow family just doesn't nick properly (what is exected) with certain bulls or bull familys.
We had a heifer that didn't close up and ended up prolapsing. Put it back and she seemed ok for a day or two, then one morning she was dead. She was a smallish heifer that came to us bred to and Angus bull. The calf was white and a monster. The breeder said he used a young bull so that it would throw small calves. The MORON

As ugly as it is, it happens.

dun

Sidney-
Most people put the cow on or in a bale of hay (preferably old, low quality hay) or any type of brush pile large enough to fully incinerate the carcass. depending on how hot the fire gets, most of the bones will burn as well. make sure you have enough fuel (hay, wood, whatever) to burn the entire carcass, otherwise you will have to put up with a burnt rotten smell until the scavengers and decomposers do their thing. we have a lot of piles of "lighter stumps" left over from pine tree harvesting several years ago that are just sitting in our patures. They make for good burning as they catch fire quickly and create a very hot fire.

I keep trying to remind myself that the bull is only half the genetics....funny thing is that the one heifer we just knew we would probably lose is the one who had it on her own and it only weighed about 50 lbs.....the bigger cows were the ones who had the big calves too. This cow had also prolasped when we found her the last morning. I think she just had too much against her. Its real hard to lose a cow tho, this was our first and hopefully last experience for that.

kaykay":gm57lxyr said:
I keep trying to remind myself that the bull is only half the genetics....funny thing is that the one heifer we just knew we would probably lose is the one who had it on her own and it only weighed about 50 lbs.....the bigger cows were the ones who had the big calves too. This cow had also prolasped when we found her the last morning. I think she just had too much against her. Its real hard to lose a cow tho, this was our first and hopefully last experience for that.

I'll almost gaurentee it won't be the last. And it doesn't really get any easier of more palatable when it happens.

dun

yes I know that it is probably going to happen again...maybe I will be more prepared for it next time. Maybe not. Doubt it. :(

Dun is right, you just have to take the good with the bad, and try to prevent as much bad as possible. Some things can be prevented to an extent, others cannot. Sounds like you had a learning experience.

PS, dont let this one thing discourage you about the simmental breed. there are plenty of good low birth weight simmentals out there. Just remember next time if you are going to use EPD's to select a bull you want a negative large number in the BW catergory and a positive large number in the calving ease column.

sidney411":24gbk4xr said:
I may sound dumb, but how do you burn a cow carcass? We have never done that, but I have herd it said a few times before. Does it burn completely up, no bones left?

We throw a chain around her hocks and drag her off. Never have burned them.

kaykay":24gbk4xr said:
Its real hard to lose a cow tho, this was our first and hopefully last experience for that.

Dun's right. Stuff happens, from lightning to illness to injury. No matter how long you've run cattle you will have to deal with it from time to time. Anybody who never looses a cow has never run cows.

Craig-TX

Latest posts