cow down after hard delivery....any hope for her??

Help Support CattleToday:

Craig-TX":2lwffrwm said:
sidney411":2lwffrwm said:
I may sound dumb, but how do you burn a cow carcass? We have never done that, but I have herd it said a few times before. Does it burn completely up, no bones left?

We throw a chain around her hocks and drag her off. Never have burned them.

kaykay":2lwffrwm said:
Its real hard to lose a cow tho, this was our first and hopefully last experience for that.

Dun's right. Stuff happens, from lightning to illness to injury. No matter how long you've run cattle you will have to deal with it from time to time. Anybody who never looses a cow has never run cows.

Craig-TX

If you aint got em you cant lose em

sometimes we drag them off too but we have plenty of land with few neighbors. Burning will get rid of some diseases that dragging them off wont, plus some scavengers can spread diseases. Thats why its good to know what the animal died from. Now that we have a front end loader and bucket we normally just bury them. Thankfully we dont have to dispose of animals very often.

Beefy, we didnt select his bull on his EPD's....the ranch we bought him from picked him out of about 6 others that were together. They said he should throw about 65 lb calves, they were and still do use the simmental bulls and angus/brangus mixed heifers and cows. We didnt get the EPD numbers till 2 months later when the papers came to us in the mail with him registered to us. We have learned alot about EPD's since then.....funny thing is everyone else that I mention EPD's to that have cattle say they dont know a thing about it!!!! I have learnt most of what I know from some very nice folks here on this board about calving ease numbers......special thanks goes to Hillbilly who explained it very thoroughly to me. He didnt even call me ignorant either. :lol:

sorry kaykay,
i thought you had seen the EPD's and just misread them. A lot of people get confused for instance when it comes to birthweight, you want a very negative number, the more negative the better but some people think -.5 is better than -1.5 b/c -.5 is greater than -1.5. likewise, i thought you had misread the calving ease column thinking it was birthweight or something and thus selected for a negative whatever it was thinking that he would have small calves. anyway. way to go beefy, just confuse everyone one time..

you were only trying to be helpful Beefy.....nothing was taken any other way. I APPRECIATE you taking the time to read and post to my questions. From now on tho if we buy a registered bull I WILL ask to see the EPD's first.
I was reading your post earlier about that truck that wouldnt start......what WAS wrong with it??? some of us are curious. :lol:

LOL. that was a LONG time ago! umm, it was just the battery. cellphone charger finally drug it down i think. a friend of mine had tried to jump it off but apparently didnt know what he was doing b/c i jumped it off successfully the next day. the gf let me borrow the 350 though so that was pretty sweet. got a new battery.

Beefy, glad to hear it was just the battery....saw where someone had posted to it this month wanting an update on what the problem was so I had to ask!!!!!

Do you use simmental bulls? We love the way they look and grow sooooo fast!

We used a simmental bull 2-3 years ago for the first time. very impressed with the calves out of our beefmaster cross cows. unfortunately another bull broke his leg fighting so we didnt get many calves out of him. The heifers we did keep out of him are extremely fertile and excellent milkers.

I may sound dumb, but how do you burn a cow carcass? We have never done that, but I have herd it said a few times before. Does it burn completely up, no bones left?

You can put some old tires on them because they burn real hot and burn for a long time.

OK, I thought you wern't supposed to burn old tires?

Anyway, I was just curious. We usually drag them into a sinkhole on our place. The buzzards take care of them pretty quick. Thanks, for all of the answers. I had never really thought about the whole disease thing, the only animals that have died on our place were due to old age or calving difficulties, as far as I know.

sidney411":2a1x0fmr said:
OK, I thought you wern't supposed to burn old tires?

Anyway, I was just curious. We usually drag them into a sinkhole on our place. The buzzards take care of them pretty quick. Thanks, for all of the answers. I had never really thought about the whole disease thing, the only animals that have died on our place were due to old age or calving difficulties, as far as I know.

You can put a bag or two of lime on them.[about $3 per bag]
Scavengers won't bother them and they will decompose real fast.
The lime also kills the smell.

Hillbilly

Latest posts