Cow down after giving birth

Help Support CattleToday:

RayT

Reaction score
I have a cow thats not getting up after calving two days ago. Calf had to be pulled. Calf is doing fine but mother will not get up. I've had he in a harness several times w/ movement from her back leggs but she will not stand on her own. Vet came out and suggested to lift her in the harness three times a day for 20 minute each time. Any advise would be appreciated.
Tks Ray

RayT":1z4va0it said:
I have a cow thats not getting up after calving two days ago. Calf had to be pulled. Calf is doing fine but mother will not get up. I've had he in a harness several times w/ movement from her back leggs but she will not stand on her own. Vet came out and suggested to lift her in the harness three times a day for 20 minute each time. Any advise would be appreciated.
Tks Ray

How old is the cow.

If you can't lift her, at the minimum roll her to her otherside several times a day.
The next question will probably be, how long will it take for her to get up? The answer is, your guess is as good as another. I've seen them down for a month and get up, I've also seen them just give up and die after only a few days.
They nerve that was probably pinched will take some time to recover, if it's only the nerve she'll do ok. If it actaul damage to the pelvis she'll never get up.

dun

RayT":3thzmc53 said:
Tks Ray

BLACKPOWER":2soxakh5 said:
RayT":2soxakh5 said:
Tks Ray

How old is the cow.

She approximately 29 months old.

RayT":cpfyzpzy said:
BLACKPOWER":cpfyzpzy said:
RayT":cpfyzpzy said:
Tks Ray

How old is the cow.

She approximately 29 months old.

She's young enough to get up but I'll bet she doesn't.

Latest posts