Cow died

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgirl_telly_369

Reaction score
Sometime between yesterday and this morning, one of our pinzgauer x angus died. She was found laying in the hay pile, she was pregnant, about 19-20 months old, but was found with blood coming from her, on her tail, and had went clear down by her udder. Any ideas on what caused her death?

bull fight. Two bulls probably got her down.

Seriously though, when was she due to calve? Could have been calving or aborting and struggled to death.

She's had one bull in the pasture with her, the other bull is at another property. She was in the herd that starts calving in April and ends in August.

Possible late mid-term abortion with a malpresentation? Given the description of how you found her, it's the only thing I can think of. :oops:

I agree with msscamp. Sounds like it could be a an abort. Its very hard on the females, specially young ones. Have you called a vet ?

I'm not positive, but I think a vet friend was called yesterday about it. If not, I'll be sure he's called today after school.

Edit: I have come up with two possibilities.
1. Abortion
2. Redwater, except she had shots in November.

I've had cows abort, very seldom do they die from aborting a calf, my guess it was something else.

GMN

The bulg on either side of the rectum sort of makes me think that is may have been a calving issue also. You might want to sleeve up and reach inside and see what you can see. Other then the lumps , a twisted gut or impaction comes to mind.

dun

GMN":bfp96ul1 said:
I've had cows abort, very seldom do they die from aborting a calf, my guess it was something else.

GMN

Whether they die or not tends to depend on what stage of pregnancy they were in when they aborted, and whether the calf was expelled or not. There are many causes of abortion, and cows have been known to abort in the 2nd, or even 3rd, trimester - in which case you're dealing with a pretty much full grown calf. A malpresented aborted calf can present all of the problems of a live birth - up to and including a dead mother.

Latest posts