COW DIED / DROWN?

Help Support CattleToday:

Tomcolvin

Reaction score
I had a 3 year old heifer w/ 5 months old calf that did not appear to have any problems. the other morning I went to check on their well being and found her in a muddy slew bottom laying on side with head under water. (dead) looks like she may have fought it for a while and maybe just give up. this was about 9:30 in the morning. She had not gotten stiff yet or swollen. do you think she just got bogged down in the mire as it is fairly deep gumbo mud in this place. it looks like she was going after the green vegetation that grow on top of water. I have seen the bull in this place eating it. since , I have fenced off this area to prevent their going into it, as I have clean water troughs in every pasture. Just wondering it this is what might have happen. This was a big let down in my operation but I hope to change this soon. :frowns:

Maybe open her up and check her airways and lungs for signed of mud/water? I wouldn't rule out exhaustion or heart failure either if she was trapped for a while.
Sorry for the loss.

If you don't have them you can't loose them goes with the business .
Cattle can be very inventive in finding ways to die.
I still use stock tanks and will continue till I die or sell all the cows.
To heII if I am going to pay for water that God provide free.
Bog is another thing you drain it or fence it.

thanks guys, I believe that you all are correct. Since then I have fenced it off and I will use my stock tanks, hopefully this problem is corrected for a long time to come.