COW DIED CALVING - IS IT....?

Help Support CattleToday:

momanto

Reaction score
WENT DOWN TO OUR RIVER PASTURE W/FRIENDS FROM OUT OF TOWN. HE WENT OFF METAL DETECTING AND SHE AND I JUST WALKED AND TALKED AROUND THE PASTURE NEAR THE RIVER. WE SAW A COW COME OUT OF THE RIVER. SHE WAS SO HUGE YOU KNEW SHE WAS DUE. IF FACT, WAS BRED TO DELIVER IN NOV. SHE SEEMED BE IN LABOR. WE WATCHED HER FOR AT LEAST AN HOUR. SHE COLLAPSED ON HER TUMMY FOR MOST OF THAT TIME THEN SHE WANDERED ON OFF TO THE PASTURE. I COULD SEE HER BACK ARCH AND KNEW SHE WAS IN LABOR. IT WAS DARK WHEN WE LEFT.

THE DAY AFTERNOON I GET A CALL WE HAVE DEAD COW/BUZZARDS IN THAT PASTURE OVER BY THE OLD RAILROAD BED. I WAS SURE IT WAS THE ONE IN LABOR.

WHEN I GOT THERE, MY GRANDSON,15, FINALLY GOT THERE TOO. HE HAD A FRIEND AND THE BOYS HAD JUST KILLED A 12 FT. ALLIGATOR AND TAKEN IT TO HIS HOUSE NEARBY.

NO DOUBT THE COW IS DEAD. IT IS THE SAME ONE CAUSE I ID 'S ITS NUMBER THE NIGHT BEFORE. BUZZARDS HAD DONE SOME WORK ON IT. SO I HAD THE BOYS CUT IT SO WE COULD SEE THE POSITION OF THE CALF TO TRY TO DETERMINE THE CAUSE OF DEATH. IT WAS BREECH. HEREFORD CALF, BIG HEAD AND SHOULDERS. NICE CALF. I DIDNT THINK THE COW WAS A FIRST TIMER. THOSE I KEEP AT THE HOUSE.

I FELT AN OBLIGATION TO THE COW AND TO OUR FAMILY BUSINESS TO DO THIS. MY SON MOVED TO GA. THIS SUMMER AND MY OLDEST GS WENT IN THE NAVY THIS SUMMER. HAVE BEEN DOING THE BEST I CAN W/HIRED AG STUDENT HELP. (THIS WAS THE WEEKEND). PLUS ADVICE FROM NEIGHBORS AND OTHER CATTLE RAISERS I KNOW.

WAS IT WRONG TO REMOVE THE FETUS? HAVE YOU ALL DONE THAT BEFORE ? CAUSE MY GRANDSON'S DM PITCHED A HISSY FIT OVER IT. LIKE KILLING, BUTCHERING, AN ALLIGATOR DOESNT QUALIFY HIM FOR THE TASK...

WE LEFT IT ALL TO THE BUZZARDS CAUSE IT WAS A REMOTE PLACE.

MOM "HELP"

javascript:emoticon(':oops:')
Embarassedjavascript:emoticon(':roll:')
Rolling Eyesjavascript:emoticon(';-)')
Winkjavasjavascript:emoticon(':eek:')
Surprisedcript:emoticon(':shock:')
Shocked

LATE THIS AFTERNOON I MUST HAVE RUN OVER MY OLD CAT W/THE TRUCK. HE HAD MOLASSES ON HIS NECK, PROB. FROM MOLASSES BLOCK N BACK OF TRUCK. DIDNT DISCOVER HIM UNTIL AFTER DARK. WILL TRY TO SOLVE THE MYSTERY IN THE DAYLIGHT. HE WAS ABOUT 12 YEARS OLD. HAD A REAL GOOD LIFE THESE LAST 5 YEARS IN SW. CATTLE COUNTRY. HAD PLENTY TO EAT, FRIENDS, FRIENDLY DOGS, BIRD, SQUIRRELS, SOME CATTLE OUT THERE TO MAKE IT PRETTY. HIS NAME WAS OLD MR. TAYLOR.

momanto":3r50urr2 said:
WENT DOWN TO OUR RIVER PASTURE W/FRIENDS FROM OUT OF TOWN. HE WENT OFF METAL DETECTING AND SHE AND I JUST WALKED AND TALKED AROUND THE PASTURE NEAR THE RIVER. WE SAW A COW COME OUT OF THE RIVER. SHE WAS SO HUGE YOU KNEW SHE WAS DUE. IF FACT, WAS BRED TO DELIVER IN NOV. SHE SEEMED BE IN LABOR. WE WATCHED HER FOR AT LEAST AN HOUR. SHE COLLAPSED ON HER TUMMY FOR MOST OF THAT TIME THEN SHE WANDERED ON OFF TO THE PASTURE. I COULD SEE HER BACK ARCH AND KNEW SHE WAS IN LABOR. IT WAS DARK WHEN WE LEFT.

THE DAY AFTERNOON I GET A CALL WE HAVE DEAD COW/BUZZARDS IN THAT PASTURE OVER BY THE OLD RAILROAD BED. I WAS SURE IT WAS THE ONE IN LABOR.

WHEN I GOT THERE, MY GRANDSON,15, FINALLY GOT THERE TOO. HE HAD A FRIEND AND THE BOYS HAD JUST KILLED A 12 FT. ALLIGATOR AND TAKEN IT TO HIS HOUSE NEARBY.

NO DOUBT THE COW IS DEAD. IT IS THE SAME ONE CAUSE I ID 'S ITS NUMBER THE NIGHT BEFORE. BUZZARDS HAD DONE SOME WORK ON IT. SO I HAD THE BOYS CUT IT SO WE COULD SEE THE POSITION OF THE CALF TO TRY TO DETERMINE THE CAUSE OF DEATH. IT WAS BREECH. HEREFORD CALF, BIG HEAD AND SHOULDERS. NICE CALF. I DIDNT THINK THE COW WAS A FIRST TIMER. THOSE I KEEP AT THE HOUSE.

I FELT AN OBLIGATION TO THE COW AND TO OUR FAMILY BUSINESS TO DO THIS. MY SON MOVED TO GA. THIS SUMMER AND MY OLDEST GS WENT IN THE NAVY THIS SUMMER. HAVE BEEN DOING THE BEST I CAN W/HIRED AG STUDENT HELP. (THIS WAS THE WEEKEND). PLUS ADVICE FROM NEIGHBORS AND OTHER CATTLE RAISERS I KNOW.

WAS IT WRONG TO REMOVE THE FETUS? HAVE YOU ALL DONE THAT BEFORE ? CAUSE MY GRANDSON'S DM PITCHED A HISSY FIT OVER IT. LIKE KILLING, BUTCHERING, AN ALLIGATOR DOESNT QUALIFY HIM FOR THE TASK...

WE LEFT IT ALL TO THE BUZZARDS CAUSE IT WAS A REMOTE PLACE.

MOM "HELP"
I guess the post mortem exploratory surgery answered your question.Guess next time you'll keep a closer eye on a cow, knowing she was due to calve in November. These type things will /can happen.Hope yall have permits for killing those gators.

Gutting most any large animal would qualify someone to wack open a dead cow and see what the deal was. Maybe there was concern about the trauma it may have caused and in later years if he does anything wrong they can blame it on that.

dun

I see nothing wrong with wanting to know "why" it happened. Few years back we lost 3 cows,within 2 days, our cattle aren't on our home place and we try to check on em at least once a day. But these three cows were bred by a neighbor bull, (found that out after they were already dead) Calves were wayyyyy too big. None of them were first timers either. Sometimes things happen, that's beyond your controll. That's one reason I get in such a tizzy when we have a stray bull show up. I dont need to loose cows cuz someone elses critter won't stay put.

The necropsy is the best way to accurately determine the cause of death and will let you know the general condition of the animal. Sorry for your loss.
We like to have all our cows calve close, usually in the barn if the weather is nasty and cold, which it generally is in March, or the calving pen. Just like to know whats going on with our girls...hate to have a breeding and nine and a half months worth of feed be wasted because I didn't correct a presentation or pull a calf. Not good for the bottom line and besides I'd never hear the end of it from Susie. DMc

nothing wrong with what you did here. when you saw the cow you had no reason to have suspicion as to whether she's be fine having it. You could have checked her in the morning but she'd probably have been done. In this business you dont' have time to baby every animal to make sure it will be fine. cows should be able to squirt them out without issues. but then I guess our calving ease culling system of they have it or die trying seems to cure most of these issues

DAILY CHECKS ARE NOW IN ORDER FOR THAT REMOTE PASTURE. ONLY 12 COWS DOWN THERE, 2 YO BULL, 2YO HEIFER. GOT THEIR NUMBER TODAY ABOUT WHO IS WHO AND ABOUT HOW FAR ALONG. THEY ARE ALL PRETTY HAPPY CAMPERS - 4 NEW CALVES SINCE 10-24. I MAY MOVE DOWN THERE IN THIS NEXT YEAR. BUT BY THEN THEY WILL ALL BE BACK UP HERE AT THE HOUSE- WHERE THEY ARE ALL VISIBLE FROM THE HARD ROAD.

THANK Y'ALL FOR YOUR ADVICE.

THE ONLY FIRST TIME HEIFER I HAVE, IS UP HERE AT THE HOUSE, AND SHE DROPPED HER YOUNGUN BEFORE WE KNEW IT. IF I KNEW HOW TO POST PICS I WOULD SHOW HER.