Cow didn't breed back

Help Support CattleToday:

Rookie

Reaction score
I got me a cow what took right away her first time with tha bull, (bred her at 18 months), she calved with no problem. She calved out in august of 07, never once showed a sign a bein in season after that first calf. She was in with tha bull for about 6 months after she calved. She appears ta be open at this time. Could anyone venture a guess as ta what the ratio be between cows what do this and cows what carry on a normal cycle ? Also, be there any particular condition what could cause this, or is it just tha luck o tha draw?

Could be a lot of things. Poor nutrition while she was nursing the calf, damage to the cervix during calving, ovarian issues, bad bull, any number of diseases that could have caused her to abort without you noticing. Heifers can be hard to breed back because of the nutritional demands of having a growing animal producing and feeding a calf.

The percentage of 1'st calf cows being open is much higher then that of mature cows. Like jk said could be several things. Most of the time I believe it's nutrition, the young is cow nursing while still putting on frame herself. If nutrition is the case, she will cycle soon after the calf is taken off or the quality and amount of feed increases.

I have one too. Calved in early May, a first calf heifer, calved unassisted, but was induced. Saw her in heat in June, August and then against a few days ago. I know it is not the bull failing, but was wondering why she isn't settling. Her condition looked good, until lately. I am wondering if she is getting bred and then aborting for some reason. Or coming into heat but not ovulating.

braunvieh":2lcc26wj said:
I have one too. Calved in early May, a first calf heifer, calved unassisted, but was induced. Saw her in heat in June, August and then against a few days ago. I know it is not the bull failing, but was wondering why she isn't settling. Her condition looked good, until lately. I am wondering if she is getting bred and then aborting for some reason. Or coming into heat but not ovulating.

Have you seen her in heat at all? If you're sure she is open you could give her a shot of GnRH and 7 days later a shot of lut. If she's cyctic that will normally cause her to start ovulating normally. Usually if they're cycsticthey keep coming back in but if for some reason she never shed the CL from when she calved it will get ball rolling again

Like was said, heifers have a harder time returning to heat because of the demands of growing themselves and growing a calf. If they do not get enough nutrition, they will have a harder time breeding back
Heifers can also have more trouble calving. Troubles calving, anything from a foot back, to a hard pull, prolonged delivery, mal presentation can also delay breed back
Next and this might strike up some controversy but it can be genetic.
I have no idea what your calving season is like. For some it is defined and others all year long. Here we have a defined season of 6 weeks for the for the majority and a few straglers up to 12 weeks. We try to calve out the most in 3 weeks due to the off farm work load.
We have noticed that calves kept back, which are outside the first 45 days of calving are more prone to breed back issues or keeping in step with the rest of the herd. This usually starts with the first calf though.

Lastly, what was her nutrition like after she was weaned, and growing out. We have also found a direct corolation to feeding heavy and breeding problems later down the road. Sure they look good going out on pasture, but the extra fat can be a detriment to breeding and breeding on time. As well as it can shorten the life span on the heifer from pushing her to hard with feed, not giving the joints time to catch up with the weight gain.

braunvieh":16xacf2b said:

Pretty much tha same here. Mine was part of a group a 5 what was approxamately tha same age, all breedin for tha first time, all gettin the same rations and mineral, all on tha same pasture and hay. One was a pure breed Holstein so I be knowin her requirements was higher than the rest and she bred back right away, all the others calved pretty much right on time. The bull I know be good, he shows no interest in her whatsoever. Hasn't since was first bred. :???: :???: :???:

Latest posts