Cow Culling Criteria ?

Help Support CattleToday:

No difference. I don't allow market factors to have a say in whether or not a cow is performing.

Stocker Steve":wueguqvb said:
What is the difference in your cow culling criteria in a rising vs. in a declining market?

Little more lenient on some cows for the sake of maintaining cash flow during down times. I had almost 10 cows picked out to go this fall, but I might have to cut that back to cover further drop in calf prices next year. Unless of course, bred heifers or at the very least, quality open heifers become a steal and are cheaper than shipping old cows.

It's easy to cull ruthlessly in a high market. :D

Caustic Burno":1wxpyb42 said:
Same I use the Lassiter philosophy cow must produce a healthy calf every 12 months or take its place on the trailer.

I agree, but I have a couple older cows with smaller calves on the bubble. I think I could trade up for $200 each.

Stocker Steve":24xqak1u said:
Caustic Burno":24xqak1u said:
Same I use the Lassiter philosophy cow must produce a healthy calf every 12 months or take its place on the trailer.

I agree, but I have a couple older cows with smaller calves on the bubble. I think I could trade up for $200 each.

I have a few 16 and over that are going to get traded up in the near future that is why I am buying. Still have good teeth and producing just watching canner and cutter prices. These old girls leave I won't have anything over seven they can carry me out.