Cow Color for the Commericial Cattlemen

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno

Reaction score
This seems to come up quite a lot.
A commericial Cattleman wants Red cows to follow market trends.

Right now black is popular due to superior advertising of a breed, trust me this will pass.

A red cow the color and crosses are wide open.
Homo black bull and you have black calves.
Hereford you get red baldie.
Char you get high yellows.
It is much cheaper to change the bull to chase the market.

Caustic Burno":3847dicn said:

Right now black is popular due to superior advertising of a breed, trust me this will pass.

Good post.

Caustic Burno":21i3n8c8 said:

Caustic, I agree with all the above plus right now the reds are cheaper to buy. It makes dollar sense to own red but since I am in the cattle business partly for the enjoyment of it, I like to look at my black and black baldy cows as they graze in the pasture.

I was looking at going to the auction to pick up a few quality cows. After reading this I think i will go with red ones. Does anyone have any good advice on how to buy if I dont much experience there.

dbc":3muj5oyn said:
I was looking at going to the auction to pick up a few quality cows. After reading this I think i will go with red ones. Does anyone have any good advice on how to buy if I dont much experience there.

Salebarn is not for the inexpeirenced.
Find a mentor to go with you.

Caustic Burno":1zs985uf said:
dbc":1zs985uf said:

I could not agree more. The man who acts as my mentor has saved my back side more than I can count.

Good post Caustic. I agree that it will pass... I am partial to reds and red baldys, but they just arent doing as well at the sale as the blacks. (for now anyway)

I have a buyer that will not take my red baldies, braford. Only wants the tiger stripes. He claims they are better. Where do people come up with this BS?

I like red cows the best. Then whites. Lastly black. Use a black angus bull and you won't have any red calves.

Caustic Burno":2lk2rplr said:
dbc":2lk2rplr said:

This is good advice. Ask the barn owner if he might recommend an order buyer to make your purchases for you. You will pay a small commission for their years of knowledge and experience. Besides, if they do you a good job you will probably be a repeat customer. It is not so much knowing how to buy as it is knowing when to sell one to the other guy.

I agree with warpaint , once the hide is off nobody knows what color they were. I have mostly red cows and use black bulls , some calves are black and some red , I have been selling my calves to the same guy for the past 4 years , he feeds them out , slaughters them himself and sells them as freezer beef . They do good for him and his customers keep coming back. he keeps coming back to me.

ga. prime":2m29jky6 said:
I like red cows the best. Then whites. Lastly black. Use a black angus bull and you won't have any red calves.

Not true, my last registered black angus bull threw quite a few red calves (recessive genes for black angus)

Color don't mean squat - it is all about the confirmation and quality and yeild. I have never seen a grid award or deduct points for hide color.

novatech":1bqkltz1 said:
I have a buyer that will not take my red baldies, braford. Only wants the tiger stripes. He claims they are better. Where do people come up with this BS?
had a saleman that was selling some type of liquid soap cleaner that was clear as water. could'nt really sell people on it till they added a color to it then it took off they didnt think it would work. the thing with the tiger's is of course the color folks are lead to believe the their true F1'S and make better momas

I disagree with everybody I guess. If you want to buy some cattle at the stockyards then get in there and buy 'em. Don't pay someone to stick their hand in the air for ya'. Go early - look the cow over and decide what YOU want to pay for her. - If you're just looking for a few cows to go with the few you've already got - then it's time to get some experience. I don't recommend that you risk your financial well being or that of your family but for one or two - let YOUR EYES be the judge.

Yes, johndeerefarmer, you can get a black angus bull with a red factor gene. I don't get that kind. If you don't care what color calves your cows have and like surprises, get you one of those red factor black angus bulls.. 8)

What if :?: you don't want to wait around for Black Angus to lose popularity

AngusLimoX":jeib1tt1 said:
Nothing better than a herd of pb BA girls to put whatever you want on.

Breeds aside, Caustic's point was that if your cowherd is black you'll get mostly black or grey calves no matter what color bull you use. You have more options if the cows are red.

This isn't likely to happen anytime soon, but if for some reason black hides go out of style, you're pretty much stuck. You either have to sell them and buy replacements, or go through several generations to turn the herd a different color.

Latest posts