Cow/Car/Accident

Help Support CattleToday:

504RP

Reaction score
Came up on 6 dead cows that a car hit and killed. One cow had both hind quarters detached laying 15 foot away from her. She was still alive laying on her belly, head up chewing her cud, front legs folded under her brisket just like cows lay when laying down in a pasture chewing their cud. Other than her back end being cut off and some of her intestines hanging out you would never know she had been hit by a car. A small car that looked sort of like a camaro, sports car of some kind. This happened about a year ago. Was wondering if anyone else has ever came up on an cow/car accident before ?

I have seen a few dead cows and smashed up cars but nothing like you saw. I was in the passenger seat of a Ford F-250 4x4 in about 1975 that hit a horse. We were doing about 50 mph and it was early morning and dark.. The horse turned and started down the road just before being hit. So we hit it in the rear. It had 3 broken legs and died in a few minutes. Didn't do the hood and grill any good. The hood came back enough to crack the wind shield pretty good. I don't remember all the damage to the pickup. I know it had to be towed. I think it had my knee imprint in the glove box.

I've seen it twice. One time the cow had ribs sticking out and was dead. The other time the cow was hit on a bridge. Through her legs through the guard rail. She was alive, but I think they shot her after I left.

Came up on 6 dead cows that a car hit and killed. One cow had both hind quarters detached laying 15 foot away from her. She was still alive laying on her belly, head up chewing her cud, front legs folded under her brisket just like cows lay when laying down in a pasture chewing their cud. Other than her back end being cut off and some of her intestines hanging out you would never know she had been hit by a car. A small car that looked sort of like a camaro, sports car of some kind. This happened about a year ago. Was wondering if anyone else has ever came up on an cow/car accident before ?
Jesus!
What a gruesome sight.
I hope to never see such a thing.

Was talking to an older gentleman today.
He had the rear door come open on his trailer. Like 14 animals went tumbling out. By the time he got stopped, all but 2 had fell out. Amazingly most survived. All but 2 big cows I think he said.

Always, ALWAYS chain the rear gate...

Probably around 30 years ago, saw if I remember correctly 8 cows that had gotten onto a railroad and hit by a train. They were strewn all along the edge of the track. The road was up higher than the railroad and ran along by it. They appeared to be pretty well intact as far as I could tell.
Last year, we were going to the vets office and on a state road a cow must have either got hit or got through a fence and fell off of a high and straight down embankment, which we believe the latter. She was laying on the side of the road feet straight out and trembling. People were standing around I guess deciding what to do. Pitiful sight, she was gone from there when we came back along.

We had just driven 1200 miles straight coming home from Colorado and was about 50 miles from home and 3 a.m in the morning when came up on the accident. Cops hadn't made it there yet.

Wife wanted me to shoot the cow and put it out of it's misery. Had my 44Mag pistol but, thought it best to not get involved and was sure the cops would be there within minutes and shoot the cow.

I was weaving through the dead cows and thought I was driving between a cow and big calf but was instead the cow chewing its cud and what i thought was a big calf was the cows hind quarters and legs.

I guess the cow about 1400 lbs couldn't feel it's hind quarters had been cut off. Was a sad deal.

We don't have open range here. The cows had gotten out of their pasture through a fence somehow and gotten on the highway.

Certain areas I see cows out on the highway way alot. Even call it in to 911 most of the time. Cops don't respond to calls like that most of the time either.

3 years ago came up on a car flipped onto its side and wrapped around a tree. At a location that i have called 911 about cows being out. On several ocassion. One time a state trooper answered the call. We ran the cows back into the pasture. The trooper shined his flash light to check the fence. All 5 strains had been down so long grass had grown over them. You could step over the fence. Was like that for a quarter mile or more.

The car I found that Thanksgiving night was still smoking from the water spraying out of the radiator onto the manifolds.

I found a dead girl still in the car while I waited on 911 to send help out. Found out later the girl was 23 years old and had two baby girls of her own at home.

Yes. Neighbor had cows getting out several times on highway. Same guy who left cows on our place for weeks with out trying to get them. Finally I was coming through one day at night and there was an 18 wheeler sitting partially on the road with his light off. He was a littly distraught and trying to explain to the sheriff's office where he was. He told me he had hit a cow. It destroyed the front of that truck. I helped him out and out the cow down.

One night I was coming from college and it was late. I was coming through some hills with turns and as i topped one there was about a #600 black bull calf in my lane. I was able to slide by him and luckily he he didnt move. I was able to slow down slightly but not as much as I would have liked.

There have been a couple people killed here by horses or cows when the hit them. In those cases the animal usually flipped up and came through the windshield.

Been in two!
Totaled a 69 GTO, I remember a 64 Galaxy 500 involved as well.
I remember 4 cars and five cows . It was a dark four lane a Firebird hit the small herd first, flipped one over the hood landing in front of me. That launched me like a Dukes of Hazard episode. It screwed that Firebird and my GTO up.
There were five dead or busted up cows , DPS troopers shot the cows.
Couple months later totally a 70 Chevy pickup in the same dark curve.
Allstate ask me to look for insurance elsewhere.

I was maybe 7 years old. Brother had finished his time in the Viet Nam war. Bought a 1972 Malibu Chevell 2 door hard top.

He and my Mother were in the front seat. Me, my little brother and sister were in the back seat when we hit a big black cow that stepped out in front of us. We were going about 50 mph when we hit the cow. It came up the hood, broke the wind shield and over the top of the car. Cop shot it and put it out of it's misery.

Because this area is open range all of the freeway on and off ramps have cattle guards. Everyone slows down when driving at night because it is normal to see cows on the road. I would say that over half the time I drive from here to the post office (5 miles) I will see a cow on the road or along side of it. The county doesn't mow the roadside grass. Cows take care of that.
The railroad is responsible for fencing off the tracks. They do zero maintenance on those fences. I have been told that the RR figures it is cheaper to pay for any critters they hit. As a result a 300 pound rat tail heifer magically becomes a 700 pound #1 steer. And they just pay up.

Because this area is open range all of the freeway on and off ramps have cattle guards. Everyone slows down when driving at night because it is normal to see cows on the road. I would say that over half the time I drive from here to the post office (5 miles) I will see a cow on the road or along side of it. The county doesn't mow the roadside grass. Cows take care of that.
The railroad is responsible for fencing off the tracks. They do zero maintenance on those fences. I have been told that the RR figures it is cheaper to pay for any critters they hit. As a result a 300 pound rat tail heifer magically becomes a 700 pound #1 steer. And they just pay up.
While vacationing in parts of Colorado I saw where it was open range like you describe. And think that's a good deal for farmers and public to keep road ditches cleaned up like that.

But there is no way to do it because of the number of cars driving 75 mph even on secondary high ways. Not to mention all the blind curves and hills.

It's pretty dangerous just with all of the car deer accident's.

But there is no way to do it because of the number of cars driving 75 mph even on secondary high ways. Not to mention all the blind curves and hills.
I guarantee they would slow down around here. And there if you hit a cow, the cow owner is liable for damages and injuries. Here you hit a cow you get to pay for the cow and fix your own vehicle. Same thing with injuries. The driver is on the hook for them. We are not shy on hills and blind corners.

I guarantee they would slow down around here. And there if you hit a cow, the cow owner is liable for damages and injuries. Here you hit a cow you get to pay for the cow and fix your own vehicle. Same thing with injuries. The driver is on the hook for them. We are not shy on hills and blind corners.
Colorado isn't shy of hills and curves either. I was hauling some horse's and mules over a pass in southern Colorado just as i came around a curve starting down the other side. Some cow boys was driving I guess 100 head or so cows back up the pass. I just had to stop as they herded them pass me. It was a two lane hwy. Straight up on one side of the hwy and straight down on the other. Was that way for almost half a mile. Never seen anything like that before.

I hit several moose over the pass 70 yrs but never killed one, they killed my vehicle tho. Did hit a horse one rainy nite 40yrs ago, dam thing came up outa the ditch rite after a sharp corner and no way could I stop. Opened horse up like a melon, over the top of car and shoved the steering wheel into my chest. I walked away, vehicle and horse did not

Latest posts