Cow came up limping

Help Support CattleToday:

You were correct sir. She had a screw stuck in it.

I debated leaving her in the pen a couple days to see if she got better. Your post got me to thinking so I decide to just run her in and find out.

Thanks
My experience with foreign objects in the hoof of either a horse or cow is that they are usually extremely painful. Refusing to put the hoof on the ground is usually what tips me off. Otherwise they usually put the hoof down and then limp and pull it back.

Had this cow come limping up yesterday so I caught her and her calf. Any ideas what it might be?

I did not see any abscesses in the hoof. Didnt notice any swelling. That hoof is pointing down though. She keeps raising that leg and it shakes real small movements, then she puts it down.

I have a theory what it could be but wanted to to see if others came to the same conclusion before I went through forcing her in a trailer to go to a vet.

View attachment 6992View attachment 6993

Brute how did you get her in the trailer? I have one with a limp now, I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to do about it. Back ankle has some swelling.

This is why a some dirt in your load out area that levels out with the trailer floor is such a cheap but important feature. If a hurt animal does not have to push off the back feet to jump on, everything works much better. Baby calves trot right on with mother too.

We have the spot that we back the trailer in to the chute to load and the tires drop down a bit in the tracks... so the trailer is closer to being just a little step up into... nearly level. Also makes it easy to know when we are at the right spot to stop... back tires on the trailer drop into the low spot in the tracks and when you back up a little more they start to go up... so let it roll forward a little and it will set right there... It does make it easier on any that are hurt and the calves can just follow mom right along. At pastures we try to get the back of the trailer as low as possible... making a loading spot in a little bit of a dip or anything in the ground where we can back the trailer and drop the back end as much as possible.

That's a good idea farmerjan. Maybe I can take the FEL and scoop a little out to lower tires, then use that dirt for the ramp into the trailer.

She wouldn't pen easier with a few of the clown posse along?
Yes sir she did. I penned them first and closed gate behind them. Got her to come into the first pen alone. Put a trail of cubes up into the back of the trailer. It went a lot better than expected. Dropped her off at the vet in Crockett.

Glad to hear that.

When I had the issue with the bull I couldn't find him for several days. I was looking every day. He finally popped out of the brush by a tank in pretty bad shape. I took panels and stuff all there because I thought it was going to be a rodeo, even considered darting him.

He actually just loaded right up with feed. I think he wanted out of there.

Glad to hear that.

When I had the issue with the bull I couldn't find him for several days. I was looking every day. He finally popped out of the brush by a tank in pretty bad shape. I took panels and stuff all there because I thought it was going to be a rodeo, even considered darting him.

He actually just loaded right up with feed. I think he wanted out of there.
I've had that happen a few times. Park the Polaris on one side of the trailer, bait 'em with cubes and they will quite often go right in. They know when they don't feel well and you're trying to help them.

I've had that happen a few times. Park the Polaris on one side of the trailer, bait 'em with cubes and they will quite often go right in. They know when they don't feel well and you're trying to help them.
Funny. More evidence that I've been raising the wrong cattle the past 30 years. I need to find some with that level of cognitive awareness that I'm only there to help.

The vet called me and said she is ready picked up . Couldn't believe she took care of it today. I was figuring they wouldn't get to her until Monday. Vet said it was an abscess, got it cleaned out, trimmed her hooves, trimmed her horns, got her shots, and palpitated.
Do you mind if I ask how much the work that day cost ?

Latest posts