Cow came up limping

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Had this cow come limping up yesterday so I caught her and her calf. Any ideas what it might be?

I did not see any abscesses in the hoof. Didnt notice any swelling. That hoof is pointing down though. She keeps raising that leg and it shakes real small movements, then she puts it down.

I have a theory what it could be but wanted to to see if others came to the same conclusion before I went through forcing her in a trailer to go to a vet.

20210809_071849.jpg20210809_071802.jpg

Last edited:
The fact that she is shaking the foot shows me she thinks something is stuck in it that she can shake out.
This! I had a cow doing that and couldn't feel anything with my finger, but ended up digging out a small, flat rock that was wedged waaaaay up, using a flat head screwdriver. She actually went limp with relief and the rock smelled vile:sick:.

@Brute 23 I got to thinking. How docile is this cow? Couple options before loading & taking her to the vet. Watch her for a couple days, see if it improves or swelling/other symptoms become noticeable. I've done the following when they're way BFE in the pasture and nowhere remotely near a corral/chute: Can't tell from the rear view pic, but is there any debris between her toes you can pull out with needle nose pliers or dislodge with a screwdriver? Get it out & take a whiff. If it smells like azz, she definitely has foot rot or an abscess way up. Don't underestimate Sustain III cattle boluses. If it's a hand feeder, I break them in half and shove them in their mouth with cubes. If not, I break them in half in a bowl full of cubes (or grain) and sometimes drizzle molasses over it. Banamine Transdermal is your friend! If you can't get close for any of the aforementioned, drive by in your 4x4 and pour some on her back. Sometimes, it's just a wonky tweak and the Banamine is all it takes for her to start feeling/acting better.

In a perfect world, I'd get a cow in the chute and thoroughly examine & clean her foot, check her stifle & lymph nodes for swelling, and doctor accordingly. But I don't live in a perfect world, so I do what I can at the moment and act accordingly if Plan A doesn't work.

Good luck!

Bet her leg is shaking from pain and muscle spasms ...coulda been from getting knocked down by another cow trying to mount her ..they're bad to come at em from any angle ..I've seen em go straight to the ground..

She is not a bad cow but she if very unhappy about being singled out, plus her calf is with her.

I had a bull who tore some thing in his rear knee one time. He would hold it up with that hoof pointing down like that all the time. They are tough to load with out being able to put weight on that rear leg.

I'm far from good at judging these things but every thing in my gut watching her limp up reminded me of that bull. She an older cow and the bull I just put in is like 6 years old so hes got some size.

She goes to the vet tomorrow so we will see.

The fact that she is shaking the foot shows me she thinks something is stuck in it that she can shake out.
You were correct sir. She had a screw stuck in it.

I debated leaving her in the pen a couple days to see if she got better. Your post got me to thinking so I decide to just run her in and find out.

Thanks

Attachments

• 20210810_113955.jpg
    20210810_113955.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 54
You were correct sir. She had a screw stuck in it.

I debated leaving her in the pen a couple days to see if she got better. Your post got me to thinking so I decide to just run her in and find out.

Thanks
I would very strongly suggest getting tetanus vaccine from your vet immediatly. The current thinking is one now and one more in three weeks, from what i gather.

Had this cow come limping up yesterday so I caught her and her calf. Any ideas what it might be?

I did not see any abscesses in the hoof. Didnt notice any swelling. That hoof is pointing down though. She keeps raising that leg and it shakes real small movements, then she puts it down.

I have a theory what it could be but wanted to to see if others came to the same conclusion before I went through forcing her in a trailer to go to a vet.

View attachment 6992View attachment 6993

View attachment 6992View attachment 6993
We had a similar situation: lord told me to sell our bull 6 months ago and I did not. He was only 3 but nearing a ton. Angus out of Champion Hill/Rito dam and Consensus Conneally bull (excuse the spelling). Bull mounted her and rammed her into a gate subsequently breaking her pelvis/severely pinching a nerve. She flexed at the fetlocks (rear) and was weak in the rear with intentional tremors in her left leg: we put her down today. I'm just sick over it as she had a 40 day heifer at her side and was only 3 (and super gentle with our grandkids).
Bull sold yesterday: next time the Lord tells me how to manage the cattle, I am listening.
Yours does not look near as traumatized as ours: hoping she recovers real soon and I'm sorry for your troubles.
The Good Lord giveth...and He taketh away. Dang, it hurts.

Attachments

• 20210725_192532.jpg
    20210725_192532.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 16
Good news! What did the vet give her as far as antibiotics? And do you have to re-treat or just keep her at the barn a few more days?

Couple years ago I had a bull with a dang honey locust thorn lodged in the bottom of his foot. I had to keep him at the barn another 10 days and hit him with another round of Draxxin after a week but complete recovery.

Latest posts