Cow calving question

Help Support CattleToday:

Pharmer

Reaction score
I have a cow that has a had a full bag and swollen rear end for about 2 weeks now. I can not find a calf and wonder what has happened. I saw clear mucous coming from her about 10 days ago. I would have expected a calf quite a while back. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Have Patience- They are female and they will do their thing when they want to and where they want to-- And usually at the worst time, worst place, or when you least expect it.........................

If she has mucous coming out then she hasn't calved. How dialated is she? Is she kicking her stomach, tail twitching or anything that is diferent than the way she acted normally? How old of a cow is she?

When she starts carrying her tail different, kind of straight out at the base but with a kink then back down, and start checking out every corner of the fence line then you can expect action with in 12 hours or so. Depending on cow. Some will walking the fence 2 days prior to calving and some will just walk a little and pop it out.

Mucous discharge isn't necessarily an indicator of immediate delivery. I've seen mucous disharge in cows throughout various stages of pregnancy and as far as bags, some fill up months ahead of time and some do not fill up until the cow is calving. I wouldn't worry much. This big cold front that is coming through tomorrow and Thursday may set her off.

JB

J Baxter":xe0x22u3 said:
Mucous discharge isn't necessarily an indicator of immediate delivery. I've seen mucous disharge in cows throughout various stages of pregnancy and as far as bags, some fill up months ahead of time and some do not fill up until the cow is calving. I wouldn't worry much. This big cold front that is coming through tomorrow and Thursday may set her off.

JB

I discussed at length the effects of barmetric pressure on calving. He feels that it has a big effect. I feel it's just because cows are contrary critters and like to make things uncomfortable for us.

dun

Either way, whether the barometric pressure triggers the delivery or the falling barometer associated with bad weather brings out the contrariness, it seems to work. What Dun says has to have merit or my cows wouldn't always try to calve down on the swampy end of the pasture where I can't get to them with ease.

JB

I'll have to agree with dun.. the crappier the weather, the more inclined they are to calving. I have five or six I'm watching.. I'm sure as soon as it's rainy and cold enough, they'll all decide to calve.

Latest posts