cow calving in creek

Help Support CattleToday:

Tc

Reaction score
i just found one of my second calf cows laying in the middle of the creek in labor.the calf was in the normal position half way out,head under water.i could tell he was alredy dround.i made the cow get up and the calf slid right out.so i she
wasn t having problems.looks like a cow would be smart enough to no not to get in the water to calf.any one out there had this hapen?i cheaked on this cow twice a day for a mounth an still lost the calf.its kind of depressing.~~~~~~~~~~Tc

Cows have never been known for having alot of intelligence. It's a bit hard to take when stuff like that happens. One of my neighbors saw the calf born and moving around. Later he went out to look for it and couldn't find it until he got the cow up. It was crushed to death underneath her. It happens to the best of us and sometimes there's just nothing you can do.

Tc":1dy7twwy said:
i just found one of my second calf cows laying in the middle of the creek in labor.the calf was in the normal position half way out,head under water.i could tell he was alredy dround.i made the cow get up and the calf slid right out.so i she
wasn t having problems.looks like a cow would be smart enough to no not to get in the water to calf.any one out there had this hapen?i cheaked on this cow twice a day for a mounth an still lost the calf.its kind of depressing.~~~~~~~~~~Tc

Had a mare foal in a pond. I was lucky and was down by the pond working at the time. Saved the foal but it imprinted on me instead of it's mother. It nursed from her but followed me around. Easiest colt we ever had to break and train.

dun

Tc":1ifh0neh said:

Had one calf on the side of a stock tank, calf slid in and drown.

We had one drop her calf in a drainage ditch that was frozen over at the time. By the time we found it in the morning, it had already melted into the ice and froze to death. It took almost an hour to chop it out.

Yeah, we had a LIMOUSIN heifer one time that tried to calve in a pond back when i was in highschool. i found her immediately when i got home but the calf had been drowned for a while and was swollen. i waded out into the pond and pulled the calf (easily) and drug him to the bank, the cow was down. she ended up prolapsing in the pond and had to be put down. Most of my bad stories start out, " we had this Limousin one time..", i'm sure there are good ones but i dont care for the breed.

Been there, done that. An uncle of mine discovered a calf dead in a frozen creek...the dumb bitch laid right in the middle of the near frozen creek and gave birth of the calf. She was the last one to calved for the year and had expected her to calf soon..she did it overnight and drown the poor sucker. Cute little bugger..brownish red color...would've made a nice steer. Did he keep the cow? No......she went with the weaned calves the following month....go drown calves somewhere else.....

Had a angus cow calve in a pond. I didn't know what happened untill it was too late. She walked out of the pond and tried to lay claim to another cows calf. It was only about half day old. That calf turned out quite big at weaning time. He had two mamas. It was kind of funny later on because both cows and the one calf went everywhere together. When you've got cows you see a little it of everything, don't you?

The latest MARC study I have is from 1997. I find it interesting that the FS for the cattle they used in their sutdy run around 4.5-5 or there abouts for Angus and Hereford, and FS 6.5 for the Continental breeds.
Seems like the british breeds have increased significantly in size and continentals have stayed about the same and may have even decreased a bit.
Makes me curious just how pertinent the data from their herds are in the current day.

dun

Sorry to hear about your bad luck. Sometimes it seems as through the momma cows look for a place where her calf has a chance to drown. Next to a creek, pond, branch, wet lowlands, or just a old stump hole, anything that has enough water to cover the calf's head.
;-)

When they decide it's time to domino they don't care where they are. If it's the proverbial cold and rainy night, likely as not, they will decide to calve on top of some hill where there's no cover. In the south it's a shame how often they will deliver a calf right on top of a fire ant mound.

Craig-TX

sorry to hear about your bad luck, my first calf was due today,thank God I don't have a creek or pond! :(

I have a Simmental cow who calved close to the creek. Fortunately we found the calf on the edge mired in the mud. Able to pull it out. Moved calf in pickup with mama following a distance away. Next day mama had moved calf over to other side of creek where there was more of an embankment. Calf fortunately still standing but stuck in mud- belly deep. Took 2 of us to pull calf out wwith rope. This time we moved both to pens! Beautiful black bull calf is weaned. We call him "Fish". :D

Sometimes when a cow goes into hard labor she just falls over where ever she happends to be at the time...odds are some are going to be in the wrong spot at the wrong time. Part of what I love about this business
is the way a good cow mothers her calf.....of corse there there are ignorant culls

Sorry about your bad luck. Sometimes there is nothing you can do though, just drive on. We had a heifer last year in a calving lot (I mad this lot to keep them away from the pond and creek due to an experience like yours) that laid her rear end down right next to a woven wire fence and tried to calve. The baby couldn't make it out for the wire. That was the one night that I didn't check them before bed time. My fault I guess. Take care and better luck!

Latest posts