Cow calved 4 1/2 months ago and hasn't came into heat.

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
My head mama cow which is a red Angus calved almost 5 months ago and has shown no signs of coming into heat. Showed no signs of a hard delivery. This is her 4th calf. The bull has been here since middle of May, and all other cows have been bred. The Vet will be coming up shortly to do all the shots. Any comments would be appreciated!

It could be a number of things. Is she in good condition? Sometimes if the calf is pulling them down, they can wind up taking longer to cycle or settle. Some of mine I don't see come in, but like clockwork they will calve on time. Do you see them every day, or is there a chance she could have come in one day and you missed it? It would definitely be worth having the vet check her while there. If they don't feel a calf and everything feels normal inside, maybe could draw blood in case she is short-bred.

It could be a number of things. Is she in good condition? Sometimes if the calf is pulling them down, they can wind up taking longer to cycle or settle. Some of mine I don't see come in, but like clockwork they will calve on time. Do you see them every day, or is there a chance she could have come in one day and you missed it? It would definitely be worth having the vet check her while there. If they don't feel a calf and everything feels normal inside, maybe could draw blood in case she is short-bred.
She is in good condition. All my cows are very spoiled! I see them every day like clockwork. The bull is also a good indicator when one of them is in heat. Definitely will have the vet check her. Thanks!

We had a good Red Poll bull that was a sweetheart. Most fertile bull we have ever had.... and I NEVER saw him breed a cow. In 7 long years..... if we had someone that was a problem to get bred, back when we gave more chances than we do now... we put them with Bubba.... and they got bred. But he was a night breeder and that was it.

One angus bull of mine is quick as a cat and can walk on his hind legs about as good as all four. He takes care business and then moves along. I put him in with 20 heifers and was getting worried as I very seldom seen him mount one. The calves come 2-3 a day.

Last edited:
My head mama cow which is a red Angus calved almost 5 months ago and has shown no signs of coming into heat. Showed no signs of a hard delivery. This is her 4th calf. The bull has been here since middle of May, and all other cows have been bred. The Vet will be coming up shortly to do all the shots. Any comments would be appreciated!
Was the vet able to ultrasound her tract? I'd be curious what he found anything off by palpating. What is your mineral regimen like?

Extra hot ? Are you in the drought area ? I have a good friend who has red angus and he says his cows calve every 12-14 months. Is breeding back latter a trait of the breed ? My bet is that you just missed seeing her in heat .

Was the vet able to ultrasound her tract? I'd be curious what he found anything off by palpating. What is your mineral regimen like?
Our Vet is coming up to our ranch on the 30th of this month. All my cows get shots which include Inforce, Ivermectin, Multimin, & 8 way Clostridium. I spoke to her today and she said she would ultrasound her. I'm a very small ranch & I know exactly when the cows are in heat and when they have been bred. I'm sure hoping I just missed this one!

Extra hot ? Are you in the drought area ? I have a good friend who has red angus and he says his cows calve every 12-14 months. Is breeding back latter a trait of the breed ? My bet is that you just missed seeing her in heat .
We are in a drought for sure this year. All my other Red and Black Angus have been bred.

YAY... glad she is bred.... are all the rest bred too???? We have the vet coming Wed to check some that were checked preg several months ago and should have been showing more signs of impending calving. Weaned and sold calves back when prices were up... and only a couple have calved. All are in good flesh... might be some heading to town....

YAY... glad she is bred.... are all the rest bred too???? We have the vet coming Wed to check some that were checked preg several months ago and should have been showing more signs of impending calving. Weaned and sold calves back when prices were up... and only a couple have calved. All are in good flesh... might be some heading to town....
I'm counting the days for my last two. I only have six breeding cows. We used to A.I. them but never had all of them bred. By far the bull does a better job for me.

Latest posts