Cow/Calf Showing Tips

Help Support CattleToday:

Iowa-angus

Reaction score
This year i will be showing a cow calf pair, but i do not know much about it. Can you give me some info on how to show them?

Keep the calf out of the way of the cow when showing them together. You want the judge to get a good look of the cow and her udder. So make sure the person walking the calf knows what they are doing so they don't let the calf get in the way.

Walk the calf behind the cow. Where the calf is not blocking the rear of the cow or being hidden from view. When we stop, we always pull the calf up in front of the cow, so the cow can see it. Put it a couple feet in front of the cow and to the right just a bit. Be sure when you stop on the profile to leave PLENTY of room, so the calf will have room in front of the cow, and nobody is getting crowded. You want to be able to show off the cow and the calf, while not interfering with the animals around you.

Ryan

At our show, the judge/ringman usually tell you where to set up. On side profile, we have the calf behind the cow. Side by side, we put the calf right next to the cow.

Correct, some shows are set up different, depending on the judge's preference.
The biggest thing isn't HOW you position the animals in the ring - you will be TOLD how to do that.
The biggest thing is to get the cow & calf used to being SEPERATED at home. We let our pair be together outside at night. During the day, they are seperated in different pens. We let the calf nurse around noon in the beginning, then seperated again for the rest of the day. Take one out of the barn (for a walk - for a rinse, anything) without the other one. They will behave much better at the show.
We don't even tie them next to each other in the barn. We tie them in "size" order with the rest of the string, and we do tie them together at tie-outs.
Also, plan ahead for when you will nurse the calf prior to showing. Some people don't let the calf nurse AT ALL the morning of the show. Not us, we nurse them. If the cow is a decent milker, she should have a good udder in about 3-4 hours after nursing. So, if you expect the pair to be shown by 9 am, you need to get them nursed around 4-5 am. If they normally get to nurse in the morning, and you don't let them, they are "nasty" in the ring! all they want to do is nurse.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1orlx0di said:
Correct, some shows are set up different, depending on the judge's preference.
The biggest thing isn't HOW you position the animals in the ring - you will be TOLD how to do that.
The biggest thing is to get the cow & calf used to being SEPERATED at home. We let our pair be together outside at night. During the day, they are seperated in different pens. We let the calf nurse around noon in the beginning, then seperated again for the rest of the day. Take one out of the barn (for a walk - for a rinse, anything) without the other one. They will behave much better at the show.
We don't even tie them next to each other in the barn. We tie them in "size" order with the rest of the string, and we do tie them together at tie-outs.
Also, plan ahead for when you will nurse the calf prior to showing. Some people don't let the calf nurse AT ALL the morning of the show. Not us, we nurse them. If the cow is a decent milker, she should have a good udder in about 3-4 hours after nursing. So, if you expect the pair to be shown by 9 am, you need to get them nursed around 4-5 am. If they normally get to nurse in the morning, and you don't let them, they are "nasty" in the ring! all they want to do is nurse.

Good idea. I got dragged by a Blonde d'Aquitaine calf one year because he got a few feet too far behind his Mum. Strong little fellas too.

Cow/calf pairs (IMO) are the hardest thing to show - especially if you don't do your HOMEWORK at HOME!! They are hard enough to deal with, but I've seen pairs that haven't been seperated at home. Pretty disastrous.
If you are a junior with your pair, you have to walk one without the other to the wash area. I've seen a cow jump the wooden barn tie rails because she was going nuts when her calf was walked away. Besides being unruly in the ring, it can be unsafe.

Latest posts