Cow/calf program

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

We are wanting to purchase a cow/calf program. I got a demo from Centric Software. Theirs is based on Limousin cattle. Not real excited about it. Anyone got some recommendations. Would like something to keep track of breeding, calving, cow history, health. What works for you? How expensive? Jeanne

Simme Valley in NY
[email protected]

> We are wanting to purchase a
> cow/calf program. I got a demo
> from Centric Software. Theirs is
> based on Limousin cattle. Not real
> excited about it. Anyone got some
> recommendations. Would like
> something to keep track of
> breeding, calving, cow history,
> health. What works for you? How
> expensive? Jeanne

Jeanne:There is a site: <A HREF="http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/software/">www.ansi.okstate.edu/software/</A> that I found..I haven't used any of it yet, do plan to after the first of the year but it is free downloads for a lot of different livestock programs.

[email protected]

Jeanne,

I am also looking for a cow/calf/herd mgmt software. We use QuickBooks for finances/taxes, so just need software for managing cattle records, generating reports, and analyzing info on a cow and herd level.

So far, I am leaning toward CattleMax Small Herd edition (http://www.cattlemax.com) but have yet to install the demo I just downloaded. Their website has good brochures, features chart, support articles, FAQ, and downloadable demo. Talked with a guy there and he's sending references so we can ask about their experiences with it. The program itself is a proprietary software based on Access database.

Another interesting program is Cow Calf SPA Software (agecoext.tamu.edu/spa/). It seems more complex, but integrates the financial analysis into the herd management capabilities. I believe it is a very detailed set of Excel spreadsheets. There are some excellent articles about creating chart of accounts for cattle operations, and critical herd data to collect.

Hope this is helpful. If you find other good programs, plz post them here.

And let us know what you finally pick and why.

We have settled on purchasing the CattleMax purebred small edition. Besides everything you might think of for the cattle operation, it has the SPA program which appears to be the same as CHAPS program. Seems very complete, and they will be making it compatable with our National breed assn. (Simmental) this spring. Seems very willing to set up my needs. I installed the demo. Real user friendly, seems to have everything. Thanks for your interest. Jeanne
> Jeanne,

> I am also looking for a
> cow/calf/herd mgmt software. We
> use QuickBooks for finances/taxes,
> so just need software for managing
> cattle records, generating
> reports, and analyzing info on a
> cow and herd level.

> So far, I am leaning toward
> CattleMax Small Herd edition
> (http://www.cattlemax.com) but have yet
> to install the demo I just