Cow/calf profitability NEG $70 in 2010

Help Support CattleToday:

Brandonm22":16tws1ye said:
headed down hill into utter mediocrity and American agriculture will be an early casualty in this "culture war". I am just to stubborn to back away from the table until the game is over.

:nod: :nod: Count me in among the stubborn.

One big fear I have is that the good ole USA will become dependent upon other countries for our food supply. Not a good scenario.

Katherine

Workinonit Farm":3buykgzk said:
Brandonm22":3buykgzk said:
headed down hill into utter mediocrity and American agriculture will be an early casualty in this "culture war". I am just to stubborn to back away from the table until the game is over.

:nod: :nod: Count me in among the stubborn.

One big fear I have is that the good ole USA will become dependent upon other countries for our food supply. Not a good scenario.

Katherine

Not as long as I have a 22, fishin hook and can garden. We are going to eat good. :lol:
Katerine you should have seen this bunch that evacuated up this way during the hurricanes, the grocery store close or the debit card not work and they are totally lost. They live in chicken coups called apartments and live in cookie cutter communities, change the maze and the mice are lost. The last time this country got in real trouble 80% of the population was on the farm today they are in the burbs.

Caustic Burno":zjmyey51 said:
the grocery store close or the debit card not work and they are totally lost. They live in chicken coups called apartments and live in cookie cutter communities, change the maze and the mice are lost. The last time this country got in real trouble 80% of the population was on the farm today they are in the burbs.

That's the unfortunate reality that has become most of our country. Too many folks are too many generations away from the farm and are completely paralized when trauma strikes!

I understand about the 22, fishing hook and garden. As long as we've got those, I know we can get by.

I think every person in this country, especially city dwellers, should be required to grow one food-crop plant, tomato, pepper, a couple of beans, etc. just to get a hint as to where food comes from.

Katherine

Hobby farmers aren't the problem. They dont produce enough beef to flood the market. They buy hay and feed, which helps grain and hay suppliers. They buy farm equipment, which keeps farm stores open so we dont have to drive hours to the only farm store left in business. With the stroke of a pen, and it has happened many times, more imports can be brought into the USA to knock our prices down to keep people from getting ahead and becoming more independent. People lose their jobs and dont have money to buy beef, that hurts prices. The dollar getting stronger is hurting our export markets and making the imports cheaper, this is hurting our markets. All of our costs have sky rocketed, this has taken away or eaten into the money to live on. There have been many, many reasons mentioned in the previous replies on this thread for the problems and there have been alot of good comments on what is needed, but I do believe it is totally off base to blame the hobby farmer for our problems. We are supposed to be smarter and better at producing than the hobby farmer. If they are the ones causing our market problems, we need to take a long look at ourselves because we are our own serious problem.

Latest posts