Cow calf pair

Help Support CattleToday:

slb714

Reaction score
I have a cow that is old and I need to get rid of her, she has a calf that is turning 4 months old, My question is am I better off selling them as a pair or should I keep the calf and just sell her?

On cows the we cull unless they have an immediate issue we just usually keep the cow until the calf is about 500# and then sell the cow as slaughter and the calf as a feeder.

Well the cow is really old she doesn't have any teeth left and is really going down. So I don't want to to take the chance of loosing her, and I have her penned up already. just wondering money wise what should I do

At that weight of the calf they split them at the sale barn anyway.

slb714":2veosm7s said:
I have a cow that is old and I need to get rid of her, she has a calf that is turning 4 months old, My question is am I better off selling them as a pair or should I keep the calf and just sell her?
Around here, an old cow with a calf of any size will usually be split in the ring. In other words they will enter the ring together and if the buyer is a packer, they will have the calf resold. At current local prices, now is not the time to be selling old cows or young calves. But of course, in 3-4 months we might be looking back and be wishing we had sold earlier.

Latest posts