Cow/calf pair

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Hi I have a Limousin cow w/ her 1st calf at side. The heifer calf will be a month old on July 4th. I want to train them as a project for 4-H at my county fair. The county fair is at the end of July and beginning of August. Does anyone have a recommendations for training or does anyone have a special ration for feeding the cow. The cow is a little protective (as normal). All I am feeding Jasmine (cow) is pasture. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks--Becky

[email protected]

Safety first! Just how protective is the cow?

My Murray Grey cows watch carefully, but allow me to work with their calves without any interference from mom.

You might try working with the calf on the opposite side of a sturdy fence, where mom can watch her calf but can't accidentally (or on purpose) hurt you. Hopefully, mom isn't a world class fence jumper or crasher.

Be careful - I hope your project works out very well for you. But, if mom is so concerned that your safety or that of spectators or other participants is a worry, try a different project.

Good luck!

http://www.murraygrey.com

> Safety first! Just how protective
> is the cow?

> My Murray Grey cows watch
> carefully, but allow me to work
> with their calves without any
> interference from mom.

> You might try working with the
> calf on the opposite side of a
> sturdy fence, where mom can watch
> her calf but can't accidentally
> (or on purpose) hurt you.
> Hopefully, mom isn't a world class
> fence jumper or crasher.

> Be careful - I hope your project
> works out very well for you. But,
> if mom is so concerned that your
> safety or that of spectators or
> other participants is a worry, try
> a different project.

> Good luck! Thanks for the advice!!!!!!!!!!

[email protected]

I explained how I halter break calves in a previous message about "halters". You should be feeding your cow some grain. You can start her out on about 5# a day. If she is not already halter broken, you may not have enough time. You do have enough time for the calf. You should also be offering some grain to the calf. Start with about 1# - mainly to get to be friends. You should be tieing them up to feed them - preferably in seperate pens, so the cow gets used to being seperated at small intervals of time. You better plan on working with them twice a day - every day. Remember, at a fair, they will be tied all day & all night, getting to nurse only when you let them. They have to get used to this program BEFORE they get to the fair. Jeanne

Simme Valley in NY
[email protected]

> I explained how I halter break
> calves in a previous message about
> "halters". You should be
> feeding your cow some grain. You
> can start her out on about 5# a
> day. If she is not already halter
> broken, you may not have enough
> time. You do have enough time for
> the calf. You should also be
> offering some grain to the calf.
> Start with about 1# - mainly to
> get to be friends. You should be
> tieing them up to feed them -
> preferably in seperate pens, so
> the cow gets used to being
> seperated at small intervals of
> time. You better plan on working
> with them twice a day - every day.
> Remember, at a fair, they will be
> tied all day & all night,
> getting to nurse only when you let
> them. They have to get used to
> this program BEFORE they get to
> the fair. Jeanne Hi my cow was my show calf last year, she was halterbroke, but I haven't worked w/ her since last year really.The only other times I have worked w/ her was when she was goin to the vet etc. We took her to the vet last week to get her shots. She got in the trailer ok, but the hangup is that she sometimes likes to go after me if I am in her pen near her calf. Other times she could care less if I am near the calf. She tends to fare men over women. One of my other showcalves however likes women. On the feed for the cow/calf pair, what grain would you recommend me to feed? I am all new at this. Thanks--Becky

[email protected]

Your cow RESPECTS men vs women. It's the pecking order - men are usually bigger, hurt more. You're her friend, but she does not repect you. You will have to start working with her on halter. Remember, she can get you with her head - on halter. Are you strong enough to keep her head up? As far as grain, any premixed grain, about 14% protein - a corn, oat, protein mix should be good. Jeanne

Simme Valley in NY
[email protected]

> Your cow RESPECTS men vs women.
> It's the pecking order - men are
> usually bigger, hurt more. You're
> her friend, but she does not
> repect you. You will have to start
> working with her on halter.
> Remember, she can get you with her
> head - on halter. Are you strong
> enough to keep her head up? As far
> as grain, any premixed grain,
> about 14% protein - a corn, oat,
> protein mix should be good. Jeanne

Thanks for all the advice!! I got one last question. the premixed grain would be like show feed basically? I have some other calves on showfeed. Thanks again--Becky

[email protected]

>First question is the cow already broke to lead? Feed her 8 - 10 lbs crimped corn plus protein supplement and free choice grass hay up until the show. Tie the calf up for 1 hour 1st. time and continue to tie it up and work with it daily to gain trust. Start trying to lead it. Will probably be pretty stubborn to begin with, but will come around. If cow is already broke to lead then let calf follow her. Good luck! Hi I have a Limousin cow w/ her
> 1st calf at side. The heifer calf
> will be a month old on July 4th. I
> want to train them as a project
> for 4-H at my county fair. The
> county fair is at the end of July
> and beginning of August. Does
> anyone have a recommendations for
> training or does anyone have a
> special ration for feeding the
> cow. The cow is a little
> protective (as normal). All I am
> feeding Jasmine (cow) is pasture.