Cow: bred or not?

Help Support CattleToday:

LB2727

Reaction score
We had our herd preg checked last fall and this cow was said to be 3 months along however last Monday on 4/5, she appeared to be in heat (stood for mounting by other cows) and so I figured she must have aborted her calf at some point. She is an old cow and has a somewhat strange udder...it never skrinks down too much so it's never been real obvious when she bags up. So I was curious and I stripped a quarter and almost instantly got milk...would that happen if she aborted her calf? I originally had her due date for the end of next week but I'm not really expecting a calf because we've never had a cow in false heat before.

I had an old cow that would stand, right until she calved. Even had her preg checked a month before her due date; she was so big, long & tall it was really hard to tell just by looking at her. She calved 2 weeks later.

if she is due late next week, she is well within a normal calving window to have a calf. It is not unusual for a cow to stand when pregnant. if you don't see any post calving discharge, I would think she is fine. agree with wbvs58 and do the arm test.

I have an 12 year old 75 percent brown swiss 25 percent guernsey that "short cycles" all year straight thru pregnancy and all and she has done this ever since she had her first calf. She delivers a calf within an 11 - 13 month window like clock work. She is springing up right now to have a calf in about 10 days

Latest posts