Cow bred in Late march, just had a light but live and walking, nursing calf.

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score
I had one of the beefmasters come in heat last March. The char/sim bull was standing by the gate, so I just went ahead and let him in with her. Saw him mount and breed her several times that afternoon and let him out the next morning.
I looked at her yesterday while she had her head in the mineral feeder and thought her udder was getting bigger but never expected she would calve this soon. I figured late Nov at the earliest. It's possible she was bred a couple months earlier when I had all mine together to deworm, but since she came in heat in March I didn't think so.
Do cows sometimes come in even after they have been bred a couple months?

Another bull calf. A light weight calf for that bull. I didn't go out near her to look him over good, took the photos on zoom, but saw him nurse on one of her smaller teats. Membrane is laying right there so I know she just had it.

I've had one in standing heat for 2 days with the bull all over her, and 2 months later have a calf, so yes, it does happen... guess it's just whacky hormones or something.

It is not uncommon to have a cow "come into a standing heat" but be bred to an earlier breeding. See it in the dairy cattle. I had a jersey cow that was checked preg, have a standing heat, checked preg to the earlier date, and continue to show several standing heats that whole pregnancy. I had her checked 4 times that year and she did calve to the original date. Never did it on the next preg. Have seen some of the beef cattle on occasion stand after being confirmed preg, a couple did slip their pregs but several have calved to the original dates. As long as it is up and nursing...... cute little guy.

Despite diligent records, I can never tell when/if my oldest cow is bred because she will stand almost right up until she calves and hunch other cows. Had her preg checked a couple years ago by one of the cowboys when we were weaning because the steers were hunching her in the corral (we pulled the bulls 6 week prior) and he called her open. She calved 5 weeks later. To his credit, he's a small guy and she's an enormous cow, the calf must have already dropped by then but . . . . Anything is possible and congrats - he's adorable!

TCRanch":h0xt28o6 said:
Despite diligent records, I can never tell when/if my oldest cow is bred because she will stand almost right up until she calves and hunch other cows. Had her preg checked a couple years ago by one of the cowboys when we were weaning because the steers were hunching her in the corral (we pulled the bulls 6 week prior) and he called her open. She calved 5 weeks later. To his credit, he's a small guy and she's an enormous cow, the calf must have already dropped by then but . . . . Anything is possible and congrats - he's adorable!

If you call a cow open you better be dang sure of yourself. In the dairy business you cannot afford to make mistakes. If there's any doubt you always call for a re check on the next go around.

True Grit Farms":2ksqgqsq said:
TCRanch":2ksqgqsq said:

If you call a cow open you better be dang sure of yourself. In the dairy business you cannot afford to make mistakes. If there's any doubt you always call for a re check on the next go around.
I definitely gave him a hard time and he was mortified. Just glad we didn't sell her!

bbirder":12hpehud said:
Was that char/sim bull the only bull with your cows or was there an earlier one during worming?
Same bull at worming as in March.
There were 2 yearling bulls in with the bunch at worming, but both are out of that sim/char and this is one of my tallest beefmasters and I can't envision either of them being able to get up on her at that time and doing the job.

Momma and calf seem to be doing good this morning. He follows her like a puppy all over the place, walks good and plenty energetic. This is the smallest calf I've ever gotten and I'm tickled to death with the little thing. She is a really good momma too and I couldn't ask for a more docile cow.

He's a cute little buggar! I still think she got bred earlier than March. I've seen, a few times, a very little/young bull manage to find a way to breed a much taller/larger cow.

I've had a few preemies, but pretty sure none were 3-4 months early, and they were 30 to 40 lbs. a couple lived, rest did not.

I had a cow get bred by the bull one day and the next day she had a calf. And I have had more than one come in heat when they are bred.

Latest posts