Cow body conformation

Help Support CattleToday:

rjbovine

Reaction score
A cow with a high tall set, what problems if any would she have . Like calving or leg problem down the road . thanks rj

Some studies say a high tailset is an indication of lower fertility and can cause calving problems. Mainly because a the correlation of the angle from hooks to pins which indicates a tilted pelvic area. However that is not always the case and though I certainly wouldn't breed FOR the trait I certainly wouldn't cull a productive cow for just a high tailset.

A tailhead that is creeping up the back is often associated with lower fertility. I honestly can't say that I've ever experienced problems with cows with high tailsets, but it is rather unattractive.

Isomade":1cpt0nb1 said:
Some studies say a high tailset is an indication of lower fertility and can cause calving problems. Mainly because a the correlation of the angle from hooks to pins which indicates a tilted pelvic area. However that is not always the case and though I certainly wouldn't breed FOR the trait I certainly wouldn't cull a productive cow for just a high tailset.

I'm not entirely convinced a high tailset and a tailhead that creeps up the back is the same thing?

The cattle that I've seen that have it are cystic cows. They start off fine and develop that look over time. It's different than just a conformation issue. It has more to do with hormonal changes in my opinion.

KNERSIE":1fuxaa8c said:
Isomade":1fuxaa8c said:

I'm not entirely convinced a high tailset and a tailhead that creeps up the back is the same thing?
Now that you mention it no its not the same thing. Typically high tail set is associated with a cow that is slanted from hooks to pins. If she is level or slightly tilted and the trailhead is creeping up the back that is entirely different. We will call it "Knersie Tail".

cow pollinater":t742q74z said:
The cattle that I've seen that have it are cystic cows. They start off fine and develop that look over time. It's different than just a conformation issue. It has more to do with hormonal changes in my opinion.

I agree.

Some breeds just have a higher set to their tailhead than others. From my observation, continental breeds more so than British breeds.

Latest posts