Cow Biting Other Cows

Help Support CattleToday:

Twice An Olympian

Reaction score
I saw cattle behavior today I've never seen before. Let me preface by saying I've noticed a couple of my cows with straight, horizontal marks about an inch or two long on their necks and sides, almost as if they'd been shaved. I attributed it to lice and didn't think too much more about it because all the stock is getting worked next week, including dectomax injections. But today I was setting out range meal in a trough and noticed one the cows biting any other cow that would try and come up to the trough. Obviously, she couldn't bite through their hide but she was stripping their hair off, and I realized these were the marks I had seen on the other cows, so I'm assuming she's been doing it at the feed bunks and hay rings. The offender is a brangus. Is this behavior unusual? She is not a flighty cow. You can walk right up to her in the pasture and put your hands on her, but it seems like she's developed a taste for beef! Seriously, has anyone else ever experienced this?

cull her. they will all start biting.

I bought 50 ewes off an amish and they all bite each other. Of course I didn't know not to buy anything from my "friend" shyster amish (*all of them are shysters btw)

anyway.. They all bit all my sheep and next thing you know they are all biting.

I just had to sell the whole herd after that.

Ain't that the truth about the amish. I had one work for me for 2 years before I retired, heck of a good guy. And that's it. He's a guy, they're just people.
And usually poor people at that. Most all of them are for just taking care of themselves.
Who ever thought up the notion that the Mennonites or Amish can build better barns than anyone else?
They cost just as much, you just get a barn built with no modern knowledge.
How is it ok to use all the electricty you want, but just so you never have to pay for it.
My favorite was when Jerry was trying to call his brother in Wisconson all day on my phone, he had to call a number and see if he was close enough to hear the phone.
After about 50 calls with no results that day, I asked him if he just wanted to take my phone home and try in the evening.
The look on his face was shock. "I can't have a phone on my property, we don't believe in them."
I just didn't know what to say. gs

plumber_greg":1r057k6b said:
Ain't that the truth about the amish. I had one work for me for 2 years before I retired, heck of a good guy. And that's it. He's a guy, they're just people.
And usually poor people at that. Most all of them are for just taking care of themselves.
Who ever thought up the notion that the Mennonites or Amish can build better barns than anyone else?
How is it ok to use all the electricty you want, but just so you never have to pay for it.
My favorite was when Jerry was trying to call his brother in Wisconson all day on my phone, he had to call a number and see if he was close enough to hear the phone.
After about 50 calls with no results that day, I asked him if he just wanted to take my phone home and try in the evening.
The look on his face was shock. "I can't have a phone on my property, we don't believe in them."

Like you said, they are just people. Some real good ones, and some real crooks. Drink a few beers or some homemade wine with the good ones, and you'll learn which ones to avoid.

plumber_greg":4hbs29v8 said:

the ones around here are pretty poor.. the ones were i lived before were rich. And they didn't have many "rules". They had AC in house, HUGE 4k+ sq ft. awesome houses. huge acreage. big huge barns.. big money. my "good buddy" had a shop making those little sheds.. he had a skid steer and everything.. They could use cell phones for business as long as the phones couldn't text.

Right before I moved I saw 2 amish guys driving a pickup by my farm looking at it.

these weren't Mennonites either.

but you can bet your bottom dollar.. if they are selling an animal.. something is wrong with it.

Latest posts