Cow bit tongue. *rolling eyes emoticon*

Help Support CattleToday:

Beefy

Reaction score
Well, i got a new one for yall. yesterday afternoon we were feeding cows and a heifer calf walks by with blood all over half of her face around her left nostril all the way down to her mouth. this is a gray charolaisxangus type heifer so it looked particularly gruesome on her. watching her i could see when she opened her mouth that the top of her tongue is sliced pretty good, about 3/4 across and i dont know how deep. i explained to the guy that helps out that it would be unlikely for her to have bitten her own tongue, since cows only have bottom front teeth. i concluded that the cow must have cut her tongue on some trash in the hay, such as a drink can or something like that. i know i do some of my worst cussing when i bite my tongue...any other ideas? today her tongue is a little swollen and her mouth is kind of foamy.

Well the tongue heals pretty quick. i would get her up and check how bad its cut though and give her some antibotics maybe even a tetanus shot could need stitches

Agree with Alacowman....the bleeding stops pretty soon, ours healed in four of five days...didn't really notice after a couple. Calf licked a fence as near as I could tell.
The title of the post got my attention, was wondering why 'ya was smooching cows.
You find the source of the injury yet?

While a tongue will heal pretty darn fast.................I did ask the wife about the length of the cut, and she tells me it is NOT likley to heal well if at all if it is cut clean through over half way across...perhaps time for a stitch or two if not too late.... or glue. with lots of antibiotics......if it does, and is flapping, then it will certainly affect the feeding ability of this cow.

Of course Beefy being an old hand knows,,,,,, if it dont look good. time to grow wheels, and fast. :cboy:

i'm pretty sure it happened during feeding time. we just got in a bunch of peanut hay the other day and we were putting out the second roll of 7 when i noticed her. Looking around today in the remnants of the first 2 rolls, i saw an old drink can and what was left of some sunglasses! so i'm kind of hoping that the can did it and no body ate any sunglasses lens. i think i'd rather battle a lil tetanus than sliced up insides. she seems to be doing ok. i feel really bad for her though, because i know how bad that sucks.

It's not a new one to me Beefy. Had a cow lose the tip of her tongue last winter. We never did quite figure out what exactly happened we looked for garbage in the hay and found none. We gave her loose salt to keep the wound clean and she had some antibiotics. She was only off feed for 24 hours and was healed completely in about 10 days. She was able to clean off her calf that was born a week after the incident. Her tongue is a little shorter but she doesn't seem to have any trouble with eating grass.
Here's a couple of pictures of her tongue taken 3 or 4 days after it happened.
51Tongueb.jpg

51Tongue2.jpg

yeah, mine looks a lot worse than that. is farther up and a slice. she was sticking it out all day when she wasnt eating. i should take a picture.

Well, i got a new one for yall. yesterday afternoon we were feeding cows and a heifer calf walks by with blood all over half of her face around her left nostril all the way down to her mouth. this is a gray charolaisxangus type heifer so it looked particularly gruesome on her. watching her i could see when she opened her mouth that the top of her tongue is sliced pretty good, about 3/4 across and i dont know how deep. i explained to the guy that helps out that it would be unlikely for her to have bitten her own tongue, since cows only have bottom front teeth. i concluded that the cow must have cut her tongue on some trash in the hay, such as a drink can or something like that. i know i do some of my worst cussing when i bite my tongue...any other ideas? today her tongue is a little swollen and her mouth is kind of foamy.
Well not new to me anymore, Just feeding them grain and I look over to our cow Lucy and see blood rushing out of her mouth and I knew it just happened because as I was going to our spot I saw her perfectly healthy. I don't know what specifically could've happened but either she bit it off very unlikely or a cow stepped on it. The whole tip of the tongue is gone and I found the tongue in the grain about 1½ inches. Just simply unbelievable.

Lucy.jpeg
Well not new to me anymore, Just feeding them grain and I look over to our cow Lucy and see blood rushing out of her mouth and I knew it just happened because as I was going to our spot I saw her perfectly healthy. I don't know what specifically could've happened but either she bit it off very unlikely or a cow stepped on it. The whole tip of the tongue is gone and I found the tongue in the grain about 1½ inches. Just simply unbelievable.
tongue.jpeg
(Grandson had the same idea, so here are the pics of above mentioned incident!)

We had one several winters ago that must have gotten a piece of twine string wrapped around her tongue, was almost torn completely off. We took her to the vet and they removed a good inch of her tongue. After that ordeal she wanted to see somebody, you might say she was on the warpath and wanted to grind anyone who got in her path into the dirt. I think we just fed her some cake for several days and then turned her out with the rest of the cows.

That would take a bit of doing, it is a very tough material. It would need to be sliced on something and then maybe the hanging bit got caught in the feeder. They do heal well as good blood supply. It may hinder her grazing ability with a shorter tongue but surprising how they adapt.

Ken

She's back out with the herd. (Took it upon herself to break out of solitary, lol) Does not seem any worse for wear. We did give her a precautionary dose of antibiotic.

Lucy (Cow) decided she would put herself back in the bud box and brought a friend with her. I guess getting individual attention and her "own" feed trough was a contributing factor!
It's been a few weeks now. She looks good, has some good weight on her and doesn't seem any worse for wear. Her tongue healed over and she has adapted well. Now she is getting the boot back into the pasture because it's time to bring the youths in for finishing.
"The wheels on the bus go round and round"