Cow Bagging Up

Help Support CattleToday:

BRAFORDMAN

Reaction score
This happened in June

Vet came and palpated cows in June. Out of 45 head 5 were open. 3 had 1 month old calves and the other 2 were heifers who i saw being bred a week prior so it could have been to early to tell. Alot better than out of 50 head 16 were open last year.

The vet checked one of my hereford cows at 3 months. She did not have a calf on her she calved late last year(bought bred) and i held her over.
Well less than a week after being palpated she bagged up completely with a full udder and strutting teats. Her back end was not extremely loose but was not tight either. A week or two later her bag goes down and her backend is still about the same. She is still fat and i am certain she did not abort or calve.

Can palpation stimulate milk production?

I checked her everyday no discharge or anything.

I put the bull in with 5 open cows In November for exactly a month. And I did get a calf last week from one of them. (Sorry forgot to mention this)
Unless he was wrong when he checked her, but he has been good at calling how far along they are.
He called the cow that just calved 7 months in june and she calved 2 months later.

Thanks Knersie. I will just have to see when calving starts in December because bulls were pulled last month. Unless she calves Within the next 2-3 weeks.

for one thing you should of never preg checked the cows with a month old calf or the one that you saw breed a week earlier so from this statement it sounds like you are running a bull yr round and have really no idea when any of the cows bred until you preg them
you need to pull your bull at least 30 dyas prior to checking to get an accurate check
sounds like you need some better management practices

We have been transitioning from calving year round to timing them the past 4 years.
Last year I put the bulls in with the cows in march(calving started in december). I left them in until the first of October since calving starts in December. But I was not going to pull the bull after a few months because there were a few late calvers that I wanted to breed back.
I had them checked in October in hopes that most had bred back the first three months and the late calvers bred during the summer.

Due to a hay shortage I kept my registered cows and the best half of my commercial cows bred or open. There only 5 cows open in the group I kept. They were Herefords that I had bought fall of 09 and if I sold them it would be at a loss. So put a bull in with the cows in November to breed the 5 and pulled them the first of december before calving started.

Some of the cows that calved a month before checking were already bred back according to the vet. I've had cows come in heat two weeks after calving. I probably shouldnt have had the two heifers checked but I was busy getting cows in the chute and didn't get to tell the vet not to check them.

The majority of my cows will calve in a 90 day window next year and the late calvers will be held over to breed on time.

One of the cows that should have bred november was checked to be 3 months bred. A few days later she bagged up and a week after her bag went down. There was no discharge or signs of calving. I checked her everyday.

The majority of my cows calved December -May. Bulls were put in in march.

Some of the cows that calved a month before checking were already bred back according to the vet.

Did the vet know they calved only a month before? It could be that the uterus wasn't fully shrinked back to normal size at the time and thus gave the vet no opportunity to get it right.

I've had cows come in heat two weeks after calving.

So have most everyone, but for them settling on that heat is a rarity, and even if they have it would be impossible to palpate them and ACCURATELY call them in calf till at the very least 35 days after breeding.

KNERSIE":1sqa5a49 said:
Some of the cows that calved a month before checking were already bred back according to the vet.

Did the vet know they calved only a month before? It could be that the uterus wasn't fully shrinked back to normal size at the time and thus gave the vet no opportunity to get it right.

I've had cows come in heat two weeks after calving.

So have most everyone, but for them settling on that heat is a rarity, and even if they have it would be impossible to palpate them and ACCURATELY call them in calf till at the very least 35 days after breeding.

Yes I told im and he said they were a few weeks bred.
I have had a few first calvers who calved two weeks before I pulled the bull and they still calved the next year.

BRAFORDMAN":8zjdvd2s said:
We have been transitioning from calving year round to timing them the past 4 years.
Last year I put the bulls in with the cows in march(calving started in december). I left them in until the first of October since calving starts in December.
But I was not going to pull the bull after a few months because there were a few late calvers that I wanted to breed back.
if you left your pulls in for 10-11 months then you ARE NOT trying to get a controls season and you NEVER will
if you wanted to control your breeding you should of put bulls in in Dec took them out in feb and then put the bulls back with the late calvers in May and pulled the in sept
you are contradicting yourself with your statements
I am not trying to criticize just point out what you are saying you are wanting and what you are doing and they are 2 different things
as for the vet being able to say a cow that calved a month before preg checking and saying that cow is 2 weeks bred HE IS FULLOF $HIT
I am not saying she isn't bred but he CAN'T tell you that and the risk of her aborting is VERY HIGH if she was bred

Latest posts