Cow Attacking her calf

Help Support CattleToday:

inyati13

Reaction score
I see reports of cows and heifers rejecting their calf but not attacking the calf to kill it. A producer told me a cow gave birth to her calf and they went back and the calf had been thrown from the stall. Put the calf back in and the cow atttacked it again, throwing it up in the air as she attacked it with her head. He said they had to take the calf away from her before she killed it. The cow is headed to the stockyards. Demonstrates what someone gets when they buy cattle at the stockyards where there is no one to stand behind them.

inyati13":2ye8lsxe said:
I see reports of cows and heifers rejecting their calf but not attacking the calf to kill it. A producer told me a cow gave birth to her calf and they went back and the calf had been thrown from the stall. Put the calf back in and the cow atttacked it again, throwing it up in the air as she attacked it with her head. He said they had to take the calf away from her before she killed it. The cow is headed to the stockyards. Demonstrates what someone gets when they buy cattle at the stockyards where there is no one to stand behind them.
Can't bvlame it on the salbarn. We had a cow that raised her first calf with no issues. Very attentive and really looked out for the calf. That was the rfirst one, her second she tried to kill on a regular basis, would hunt it down if it was hiding and try to pound it to a pulp. Lil Orphan Annie (the calf) went to the vet for his daughter to raise as a bottle calf, the cow went to slaughter. Annie has proven to be a great cow, 5 calves in a row with nes. Sometimes a cow just gets a screw loose.

Red Bull Breeder":3sfx4x5d said:
And they don't have to come from the salebarn to have a screw loose.
Correct, the killer was born and raised here ans was the 3rd generation of 1 cows family that we raised

I find some cow families didn't get any locktite on their screws and are more prone to losing them! I have a bunch that are tame for all anyone would notice, but I don't trust at all, especially at calving time. Others are just morons that never understand what you want them to do... or do the opposite deliberately.. we've weeded most of them out now thankfully.
Other families of cows are reliably docile, and do what you ask of them without fussing about it.

I got worried about one of my big cows last year, she's close to 2000 lbs, had her calf, and was just overly excited about it, she was licking it, so that was all good, but so aggressively she was rolling it around and yes, nearly throwing it in the air... it all worked out in the end.

I would have done the same with Orphan Annie's mother.. no use keeping one like that...

Have seen a number of reports of cows out of a particular noted Angus bull that have gained a reputation of being calf-killers. Probably occurs in other lines and breeds as well, and as much as that bull was used, not all exhibited that behavior, but enough folks on different farms have seen this phenomenon in daughters of this particular bull, that I wouldn't use him.

Lucky_P":2y1dz7ss said:
Have seen a number of reports of cows out of a particular noted Angus bull that have gained a reputation of being calf-killers. Probably occurs in other lines and breeds as well, and as much as that bull was used, not all exhibited that behavior, but enough folks on different farms have seen this phenomenon in daughters of this particular bull, that I wouldn't use him.

Well, are you going to tell us what bull you are referring to? So we all can beware. B&G

no matter where you get a cow from it can be crazy. However you purchase your cattle you are taking a chance whether it be craigslist ,personal seller, salebarn whatever. Cattle are an investment when you invest money you have no idea what return or if any you will get. After this June I will not have anyone to purchase cattle from directly so I will be shopping the sale barn if I want to buy anymore. I may get junk or I may get something that is good. I personally would rather go to whole herd dispersal sales that is a better chance of getting some good cattle but also there will be some junk mixed in.

skyhightree1":e2dm2ulb said:
no matter where you get a cow from it can be crazy. However you purchase your cattle you are taking a chance whether it be craigslist ,personal seller, salebarn whatever. Cattle are an investment when you invest money you have no idea what return or if any you will get. After this June I will not have anyone to purchase cattle from directly so I will be shopping the sale barn if I want to buy anymore. I may get junk or I may get something that is good. I personally would rather go to whole herd dispersal sales that is a better chance of getting some good cattle but also there will be some junk mixed in.
Come see me, I'll hook you up with some good cows!

dun":1vxwtxgk said:
skyhightree1":1vxwtxgk said:

LOL so after I pick and pay do you deliver :lol:

skyhightree1":28fjv33f said:
dun":28fjv33f said:
skyhightree1":28fjv33f said:

LOL so after I pick and pay do you deliver :lol:
Nope, strictly cash and carry. You do the carrying

inyati13":1pqjmzwe said:

You say the cow is headed to the stockyards, not that she came from there. The vast vast majority of open cows that land at the stockyards get a one way trip to the slaughter house.

Dave":19ij85n1 said:
inyati13":19ij85n1 said:

You say the cow is headed to the stockyards, not that she came from there. The vast vast majority of open cows that land at the stockyards get a one way trip to the slaughter house.
I just can;t bring myself to complain about the salebarns. We got Granny there and she gave us a calf every year for 15 years, some of them great replacment cows. I suppose it just goes to show that a blind hog finds an acorn once in a while.

I have no problem with buy cows at sale barns I bought 2 heifers last year a tiger and a char cross the tiger is doing good raising a calf the char was trash sold her made about $200 bucks on her

glad I have never had a cow who was a calf killer. had a few that didn't want to take care of it had one cow just stare at it. calf was already standing and she had never cleaned it up every time it took a step toward her to nurse she took a step back a bred heifer came over and cleaned the calf up. I penned momma and calf and she finally got around to taking it

When we started we got a bunch of lemons from a private deal, but there were about 6 good cows out of 20ish... We had seen lots of cows before then.. IN PICTURES, but had no clue what to look for, so a lot of that falls on us as well. We've had a few refuse their calf and go steal another cow's calf, but never one THAT bad with her calf.

Latest posts